Seller increasing shipping cost after auction?

I recently messaged a seller in the US to ask if they'd be willing to ship to Canada – they said yes & provided a quote. I ended up purchasing two items from them, but the invoice they just sent includes a shipping cost that's more than double what was quoted. (I can understand it being a little higher if they were basing their estimate on just one item, but as far as I can tell the amount on the invoice is significantly more than any shipping option would actually cost.) Just wondering if there’s anything I can do about this!

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Communicate .

Politely.

Remind the seller about the agreed shipping quote.

I'm assuming it was "Shipping to Canada by First Class International Parcel will be $13.83" and not just "Yeah, about $5 more than shipping to the USA should do it.".

Did the original listing have this note on it?

No additional import charges at delivery!
This item will be shipped through the Global Shipping Program and includes international tracking.
If it does, then the additional charges are legitimate, although annoying.
They cover Canadian duty *, Canadian sales tax and a ~$5USD service charge for wrangling the item across the border.

To make it even more annoying, Those notes don't appear if you are shopping on your mobile. Only on desktops or laptops. Grrrrr.

And did you order more than one?
Shipping rates are based on dimensions and weight, as well as destination and level of service. These can jump on a gram or a cm. (or whatever the Imperial equivalent measurement is.)
For example, I can send a 2cm thick paperback anywhere in Canada for under $5. But if it is 3cm thick, I have to use Parcel rates and the price can easily be $12.

*The duty is based on place of manufacture, not place of sale. And while there is no duty on used goods, there is sales tax on both new and used.
The charges are applicable when the item is valued at $20CDN ($14USD) or more.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thanks for the help! I double checked and the shipping isn't via the Global Shipping Program. I'll drop the seller a message & hopefully we can work it out.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Hello 'not_a_viking', 

<< seller in the US ... willing to ship to Canada – .. provided a quote.>>

The quote you received was for one item only, is that correct?  

But then, without inquiring if the seller offers a combined discount for the purchase of multiples, you went ahead and bought 2 items.  

<< the invoice they just sent ... more than double what was quoted. >>

Unfortunately, you should have checked before buying 2 items.  Once you saw there were 2 items you would like, you ought to have sent a message gently inquiring what the cost of both would be to mail.

I am not giving you a finger-wagging, -- the story you tell sounds so much like what I experienced some years back that I find myself wondering if they could be the same seller.  

I, too, had to learn this one the hard way.  I also learned what it costs to ship items through the post from the US to Canada:

https://ircalc.usps.com/?country=10054

Postal costs are outrageous, but on 2 similar lightweight items it should not be that much.  Unless, of course, the dimensions have changed substantially, -- so find out for yourself what it costs to mail items of various weights and sizes.  

As for what you can do about it, -- locate the First Class International options hidden at the bottom of the options in the above link, get an idea what you can expect to pay, then either accept that the seller was right, or realize the seller may have made a mistake and thereby sweetly send a note to renegotiate the costs.  

Once you pay you can leave feedback so a smart seller would not do anything to infuriate a buyer.  You are new, however, based on your feedback, so beware of those who would take advantage of one who lacks experience.  

Best wishes Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
latest reply