Shipping price discrepancy between My eBay & auction page?

Another GSP complaint, sorta...

WHY does an item in my watch list come up with a little "calculate" link for shipping, which takes me to a popup window that says shipping is about $12, but on the auction page, it's $32 plus $27 import charges -- and then when I load the page from a different link, having gone through the seller's completed-listings page, the import charge line says "to be provided at checkout"?

Argh, I hate this program.  Smiley Mad

I messaged the seller, but the auction's nearly over and it's the middle of the night, so probably too late, but was wondering if this is common and what's up with the various shipping costs.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

It is possible that part of the problem is changes in the foreign exchange rate (the loonie dropped a penny yesterday).

And if the item is going as a parcel, destination is part of the calculation, so without a bid, the program cannot give you the 'to the doorstep" price.

window that says shipping is about $12,

That' s probably from the seller to Erlanger KY, where the GSP plant is.

but on the auction page, it's $32

Possibly the cost from KY to your Canadian location or just Canada generally.

plus $27 import charges

Duty on an item valued over $20CDN (~$16USD) plus GST/HST/PST and a ~$5 service charge

-- and then when....

This is where I say words I learned at my mother's knee (she had a mouth on her, my mum) and find another item that does not use the GSP.

but the auction's nearly over

Another point. As the bids rise, so will import charges since they cover duty and - mostly- sales taxes which are a percentage of value.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Hmm, well, the $12 to KY makes some sense, although I'm signed in and it gives me shipping to Canada on most other listings that don't have the "calculate" thing. Looks like a glitch to me.
Here's another shining example of the stupidity of this program. Seller responded and said s/he had no idea how GSP worked and suggested I call eBay and ask them. >facepalm<

>>find another item that does not use the GSP.<<
Yup. No sale. Too bad, because it was a good price for the item with no other bids.
Message 3 of 3
latest reply