When an item is not received is it best to get a refund or have the item resent?

What is in the best interest of both the buyer and the seller in this instance. Is it best for a seller to resend the item or to refund and have the buyer reorder? Factoring sellers fees, time, effort, communication  on both our parts etc. (FYI i'm talking in terms of over seas sellers on items under $5-10 dollars) What i have been doing is if the item is not received i request a refund and then i reorder the item after waiting a long time. I have had items show up way later like 3 months later. I always make sure to repay the seller if it does eventually show up keep in mind.

The reason i always request a refund is incase the resent item doesn't arrive within that 30 day period of opening a INR request i want to be covered.

However i just realized now that even if i am outside the ebay 3o day deadline for INR paypal now gives 180 days to make a INR claim.  I figure this should be sufficient amount of time even if shipping is 60 days originally plus the reship time of 60 days i would be covered. 

So what's better for the seller and what's better for the buyer? 

I think of it this way, if a seller is reshipping i could end up with 2 items and i don't want that plus they are losing out on an extra item which i figure costs more to their bottom dollar than the sellers fees etc. So am i better off as a buyer just to have the seller resend the item? 

Sometimes i wonder if the seller really does resend the item because they know sometimes it could take 3 months and wanna wait it out as long as possible so its just quicker if i reorder.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

When an item is not received is it best to get a refund or have the item resent?

bajarosie82 wrote:

If you are choosing refunds over promises of replacements, you are doing the right thing.  

It would be better for the seller if you let them promise you a replacement because they won't send it, not likely, not if the claim date can be waited out.  It happens.  

Both you and the seller are best off if you yourself wait as long as possible (do not let the claim date pass by) and then go for the refund, and repay if the item arrives.  After you open a claim you have about a month before it closes anyway, so you can linger a bit if it makes you feel better.  

Just take the refund, and if the item arrives repay the seller, along with lots of thanks and apologies. They'll be very pleased.  

A quick reminder, the eBay claim deadline is 30 days after the LAST estimated delivery date.  

If you miss that, on PayPal you have 180 days from when you first PAID.  

Here is the latest Buyer Board thread about items that take a long time: 

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Items-not-showing-up/m-p/361997#U361997

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

bajarosie82 wrote:

If you are choosing refunds over promises of replacements, you are doing the right thing.  

It would be better for the seller if you let them promise you a replacement because they won't send it, not likely, not if the claim date can be waited out.  It happens.  

Both you and the seller are best off if you yourself wait as long as possible (do not let the claim date pass by) and then go for the refund, and repay if the item arrives.  After you open a claim you have about a month before it closes anyway, so you can linger a bit if it makes you feel better.  

Just take the refund, and if the item arrives repay the seller, along with lots of thanks and apologies. They'll be very pleased.  

A quick reminder, the eBay claim deadline is 30 days after the LAST estimated delivery date.  

If you miss that, on PayPal you have 180 days from when you first PAID.  

Here is the latest Buyer Board thread about items that take a long time: 

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Items-not-showing-up/m-p/361997#U361997

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

STOP buying from China.... focus on Sellers from Canada, USA, Europe, U.K and Australia.

Exclude the rest and you will have a more positive buying experience.

Also, opening too many INR (item not received) claims will eventually work against you as eBay keeps track of your purchase history.

Whether all your claims are justified, they may eventually take action against your buying account.

You will of course recieve an email in your messages warning you about too many INR claims..... changing your buying habits now is a step in the right direction.     

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

thank you for your reply.

I was clear on ebays 30 days after latest estimated delivery date but didn't know the paypal 180 days was from the date originally PAID. I'll keep requesting refunds from now on then thanks

I ended up opening some cases to be safe after sellers had said they had resent the items only to instantly receive a refund and no communication from the sellers. I assume either 1) they never sent the replacement in the first place or 2) they don't understand the system??? because if they had sent replacement why just instantly refund me right?

PS is it correct that opening cases no longer affect a sellers defect rate or whatever its called or in any way shape or form impact the seller as long as the case is successfully resolved and ebay is not asked to step in? or should i start a new thread for this topic? thanks again
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@bajarosie82 wrote:

I ended up opening some cases to be safe after sellers had said they had resent the items only to instantly receive a refund and no communication from the sellers. I assume either 1) they never sent the replacement in the first place or 2) they don't understand the system??? because if they had sent replacement why just instantly refund me right?

PS is it correct that opening cases no longer affect a sellers defect rate or whatever its called or in any way shape or form impact the seller as long as the case is successfully resolved and ebay is not asked to step in? or should i start a new thread for this topic? 

They understand the system.  In just about everything, the Chinese are way smarter than we are.  If you open a case, the seller refunds because if a seller does not, and the buyer 'escalates' (meaning asks eBay to step in), eBay will refund the buyer but it now counts as an unresolved case, and that gets the seller a 'defect'.  

Defects are the new way eBay evaluates sellers. The seller has a few days to respond to an opened case, but it is a way of weeding out those who dig in their heels and refuse to refund buyers.  

Even if a seller "says" they resent the item, they will refund because once a case is open they risk a defect and that will hurt their selling record.  And in my opinion, they never resend the item, not if they sent the first.  They know that all these "lost" items are just delayed items.  

On the other hand, when you open a case and the seller promptly refunds, nothing bad happens at all.  It does not count against a seller.  That's something else that 'used to be'.  Used to be  eBay noticed the number of cases, period.  Now they only bother with the ones where the seller does nothing and the buyer has to get eBay to step in.  

So if you want to be totally fair to a seller in every way, without risking loss yourself, wait as long as you can for your items but do not let the claim date pass by.  

When that date is getting close, contact the seller first.  If they do nothing, or try to get you to wait more (yeah, past the claim date), or promise a replacement, or promise a refund (but don't actually do it), then open a claim.  

When you open a claim you have a bit of time.  The seller should act quickly, but eBay (messages) will let you know how long you have to ask them to step in or close it.  If you get zip from the seller, get eBay to solve it for you.  

Then, if the item arrives, just repay any refund.  You will sleep soundly at night and know you'll be a shoo-in at the pearly gates.  

Message 5 of 5
latest reply