Where are the currency exchange rates being used by ebay today coming from?

turby2
Community Member

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Where are the currency exchange rates being used by ebay today coming from?

You do know that exchange rates change minute by minute don't you? I have a nephew who has done very nicely for himself by playing those rates for a British bank.

I don't know which company PP trades through, although I understand that they bank with Western Union. An American bank for an American company. This is why 'e-cheques' take so long to clear-- they have to be processed by two banking systems, the Canadian and the American.

Most companies and banks only change rates once a day, but there is no reason to expect that the rates with any of these will match those of any of the others.

Go to your bank and ask about the buying and selling rate for $100USD. Now cross the street and ask the same question of a different bank. Now go to a foreign exchange company and ask the same question again. You will probably get different rates from each. Go back tomorrow and ask again and your will get another six prices.

And of course, PP (and credit cards) add a service fee on top of the actual foreign exchange rate.

And pay attention that when the bank buys your US dollars they pay less than they will charge you when they sell you US dollars.

All in all, I find it easiest not to call both currencies 'dollars'. I use loonies and bucks. So I know they are different things.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply