do you have to close a resolution dispute first to receive an item or refund

I purchased an item and never received it. I opened a resolution dispute and the seller wants me to close the dispute first before they refund me. do I have to close the dispute first as a first step in this process for my refund or do I have the right to keep it open? Ive never done this before and I'm not quite sure of the protocol. I do know that if I close the dispute, I cannot open it again for this item.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@relaxingat31 wrote:

I purchased an item and never received it. I opened a resolution dispute and the seller wants me to close the dispute first before they refund me. do I have to close the dispute first as a first step in this process for my refund or do I have the right to keep it open? Ive never done this before and I'm not quite sure of the protocol. I do know that if I close the dispute, I cannot open it again for this item.

Get the refund first, then close the dispute.

If the seller refuses to refund, then escalate the case and have ebay step in.

-..-

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I would say do not close the dispute ~ if you do close it and the Seller does not refund you, you cannot open the/an ebay dispute again. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thank you for the feedback. that's what I thought...if I close it, potentially I could be out of luck! I wasn't sure if I HAD to close it to proceed with the refund from the seller.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@relaxingat31 wrote:

Get the refund first, then close the dispute.

If the seller refuses to refund, then escalate the case and have ebay step in.

-..-

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thank you! I just informed the seller I won't close it until I receive a full refund. Fingers crossed now!
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

NO!

You are dealing with a scammer.

Ask eBay to step in IMMEDIATELY and escalate to a claim.

If the scammer seller does not refund you promptly and voluntarily, eBay will and then go after him, hammer and tongs.  for their money.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply