how do i respond to cancelling a transaction when reason is not correct

4ubiff
Community Member

Hi ...I have just recently received a refund from a reputable seller for an item that was grossly not as described (silver chain - item specifics: NEW 21.6 grams -- item received NEW 6 grams) ....after communicating with the seller I was refunded 100% ...I have now received a message from ebay requesting action for: cancel transaction -- the reason the seller gave: 'the seller did not want the item" ...this is not correct...I would like to accept the cancel transaction request, given that the seller made things completely satisfactory...however I am hesitant with the 'reason'...I have no experience with this whatsover ...can anyone supply input?...thank you

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

The Seller is requesting a cancellation from you in order to receive his FVF (final value fee) back for the item he sold to you from eBay.  

You have been refunded for the transaction so go ahead and accept the Seller's request....

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

When a transaction has concluded with a full refund, for better or worse, and a seller seeks to cancel it in finality to recoup their Final Value Fees paid to ebay, the seller is given only three choices with which to do so. One is 'I'm out of stock or the item is damaged' another is 'Buyer asked to cancel the order' and the final is 'Something was wrong with the buyer's shipping address'. None really apply in this case but the second is closer to the truth that the first or last. 

The seller isn't trying to hustle you, he or she is merely working with limited options to close the transaction. If you have all your money back, there is no harm in allowing the seller to cancel this by you agreeing to their terms for doing so. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

The seller refunded you 100%.  As far as they are concerned they have no more obligations.  In order to close the case you have to agree to cancel transaction.  You are no longer a "buyer".  You got your money back.  Did you keep the chain? if so, you are ahead.  If you don't agree, it will time out anyway.  Do the right thing, then move on.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

The Seller is requesting a cancellation from you in order to receive his FVF (final value fee) back for the item he sold to you from eBay.  

You have been refunded for the transaction so go ahead and accept the Seller's request....

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Hello pinetreecottage ...yes, I wish to 'do the right thing' - that is why I am here in community ...yes, I do truly wish to agree to cancel transaction, as the seller has refunded 100% total satisfaction - and I wish to cooperate in letting the seller know that -- ...as I have never encountered this situation, my question is: for my particular situation, is it the 'normal' thing for a buyer to accept a cancellation request that states that the buyer 'did not want' the item, when actually that item is significantly not as described (I am not accusing, just stating fact) ....is there not a more accurate term on cancelling a transaction that is closer to the actual situation that would apply for both of us? ...or does ebay make it difficult for sellers in this regard? ....and if I do accept 'did not want the item' as the reason, will this impact me as a buyer at all? ...thank you 🙂
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Hi silverpinups ...thank you for your input and clarification - much appreciated - I was hoping it was something like that ...and am more than fine with accepting the seller's request ...thanks again! ....:)
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

When a transaction has concluded with a full refund, for better or worse, and a seller seeks to cancel it in finality to recoup their Final Value Fees paid to ebay, the seller is given only three choices with which to do so. One is 'I'm out of stock or the item is damaged' another is 'Buyer asked to cancel the order' and the final is 'Something was wrong with the buyer's shipping address'. None really apply in this case but the second is closer to the truth that the first or last. 

The seller isn't trying to hustle you, he or she is merely working with limited options to close the transaction. If you have all your money back, there is no harm in allowing the seller to cancel this by you agreeing to their terms for doing so. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Hello mjwl2006 ...thank you very much for taking the time to provide your most helpful input/information - and it's very much appreciated! ...I did a lot of digging for the list of seller 'reasons', for cancelling a transaction with a buyer, and did not get anywhere with that...I'm really glad that I stopped by 'ebay community', as I've never encountered this before, so I had no idea what to make of it ...however, given the input here in the ebay community, and that the seller is very reputable - the consensus is that I should go ahead with accepting the 'cancel transaction' as it stands, and so I did without reservations....again, thank you very much - you've helped tremendously and I am no longer worried about this at all lol... 🙂
Message 7 of 7
latest reply