seller charging me extra for his e-bay charges

charge was added on to my invoice buy seller do i have to pay ?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

No, sellers aren't allowed to add extra things to their invoices for buyers to pay without their consent.

Has the seller explained what he is trying to do? Is it possible he or she is misunderstood with this? If the charge is an import fee to Pitney Bowes or the Global Shipping program, that is another matter entirely.

What does the line say exactly?

Don't pay for anything until you can clarify this.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Hello 'glassnut52',

<<charge was added on to my invoice buy seller do i have to pay ?>>

It depends on what the charge is for.  If it is an added 'surcharge' of a handling fee, or the seller's ebay/paypal fees which he has added on, then no, he cannot do that.  Sellers who want their fees covered this way need to include the cost in the item price or with the shipping fee, -- just the way all those 'overhead' costs are included in the price (and not at the checkout) when you shop at Sears.  

They cannot add on a previously undisclosed surprise fee to an invoice.

If, however, you bought from a Canadian business seller and the charge is for taxes (charged according to your province, not the seller's) that is perfectly okay.  When buying from business sellers in Canada we have to pay the tax just as if we walked into their shop up the street.  They are required by law to add on the tax so if that is what the charge is, there should be some mention of it hidden waaaay down at the bottom of the listing.

So then, if it is a GSP charge, you're stuck paying that.  If it is Canadian tax, - again, cough up.  If the item is something expensive you bought from Europe, they're allowed to add a euro or two for insurance, - but only the exact cost of said insurance, and this will be mentioned in the listing.

But if it is just a bit of extra, no, that you do not have to pay and the seller ought not to try charging it.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply