Received "item not as describe" - who pays for return?

Bought SanDisk ExtremePro Compact Flash card from Hong Kong. Seller sent SanDisk Extreme ( two grade below item paid for) and took no action to correct the problem after many email. Sought EBAY Resolution Centre, Customer service agent over the phone insisted ExtremePro and Extreme card is identical. Her conclusion-seller sent the correct item! 

Spoke to EBAY customer service manager and she directed buyer must pay the return postage even though seller sent "item not as described". She mentioned seller stated -buyer pay return postage holds true, therefore, EBAY Policy Statement on seller pay for return of "item not as described"  is not useable for this return. 

How come EBAY Resolution Centre do not comply with EBAY stipulated Policy?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sometimes what should happen and what can happen are not the same thing.

I don't know enough abut the product to know if you or the seller is right. I do know that you are unhappy and the seller is stubborn.

However it has been the Standard Practice for many years that the buyer must return the item to the seller for a  refund. Which is pretty well the situation if you had purchased at Staples or Sears or Radio Shack.

If you return the item to the seller in HK, you would have to be able to prove delivery and that costs $40 or more.

So that's not gonna happen.

The HK seller cannot send you a return shipping label, because that is not possible when buyer and seller are in different countries.

I'd stop talking to HK and eBay and go instead to the credit card you really paid with. (Paypal is just a useful mediator). Call the 1-800 number and talk to the customer service rep about a chargeback.

The card may not require a return.

The card may require only 'Proof of Mailing" rather than the much more expensive 'Proof of Delivery'.

You won't know until you ask.

As for the seller, you have 60 days to leave feedback. The most effective Feedback is calm and factual. 'Sent low powered Extreme instead of Extreme PRO paid for. No satisfaction.' for example.

At the same time you will be asked to leave the much more important Detailed Seller Ratings. A normal transaction would get five stars. The lowest Rating is ONE STAR.  Drops in DSRs can lead to higher fees, fewer listings or even account closure.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Sometimes what should happen and what can happen are not the same thing.

I don't know enough abut the product to know if you or the seller is right. I do know that you are unhappy and the seller is stubborn.

However it has been the Standard Practice for many years that the buyer must return the item to the seller for a  refund. Which is pretty well the situation if you had purchased at Staples or Sears or Radio Shack.

If you return the item to the seller in HK, you would have to be able to prove delivery and that costs $40 or more.

So that's not gonna happen.

The HK seller cannot send you a return shipping label, because that is not possible when buyer and seller are in different countries.

I'd stop talking to HK and eBay and go instead to the credit card you really paid with. (Paypal is just a useful mediator). Call the 1-800 number and talk to the customer service rep about a chargeback.

The card may not require a return.

The card may require only 'Proof of Mailing" rather than the much more expensive 'Proof of Delivery'.

You won't know until you ask.

As for the seller, you have 60 days to leave feedback. The most effective Feedback is calm and factual. 'Sent low powered Extreme instead of Extreme PRO paid for. No satisfaction.' for example.

At the same time you will be asked to leave the much more important Detailed Seller Ratings. A normal transaction would get five stars. The lowest Rating is ONE STAR.  Drops in DSRs can lead to higher fees, fewer listings or even account closure.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Appreciate you help. Will contact my credit card company soon.

Luckily you offered more help than Ebay staffs. Cheers.
Message 3 of 3
latest reply