Shipping changed

I won a bid for a small item tagged free international shipping - in both the listing and the seller information. After I won the bid, the seller tagged on a shipping charge higher than the cost of the item. There is no option to choose free shipping on the payment page. All the  listings for this seller are tagged free shipping so I suspect minor fraud here. There is no option to report shipping charge manipulation on the Report Item menu. I want to report this to Ebay so other people don't get scammed, but it seems impossible to find out how. Is there a place to report this?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Shipping changed

What does the seller say if you ask them to explain their actions?

I would take that answer and call ebay Customer Service.

Your options are as follows:

(a) coerce the seller into honouring their actual promise and pay

(b) begrudgingly pay the shipping and leave appropriate feedback when recieved

(c) ask for a cancellation due to his change of terms

Regardless, if you want to complain about the seller and the policy violation, you'll have to call Customer Service to do it. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Shipping changed

@rmmuldrew wrote:

I won a bid for a small item tagged free international shipping - in both the listing and the seller information. After I won the bid, the seller tagged on a shipping charge higher than the cost of the item. There is no option to choose free shipping on the payment page....

The only place you can rely on for actual shipping cost (without contacting the seller) is what is under the Shipping and payments tab.  And you are right, eBay does not have an easy way to report an item when the description section mentions a shipping cost that does not match the actual shipping value.

eBay can also be at fault for the way some things are displayed, For items listed on ebay.com you can see "free international shipping" -- when all it means that a seller located outside the USA (an "international" seller) has free shipping to at least one country outside the USA.

For example:

a listing by a Canadian (me) on eBay.COM with free shipping (but only to Canada) can display as

capture8177 search.jpg

capture4402 detail.jpg

Dumb. But ebay.com is American-centric.

-..-

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Shipping changed

The seller did take off the shipping when contacted, but subsequent purchases (these are all small items) have also added shipping. In each case I also contacted and merchant removed. My issue is that the seller seems to be purposely adding in shipping for all sales marked Free Shipping. removing it for buyers who make the effort to email. Obviously there will be a percentage that just pay it because it's only a buck, or they just don't notice. So the merchant is making a little profit, while flying under the radar because complaints don't get escalated. They'll keep doing it too because there's nowhere to report this type of thing (not that I could find.)
Message 4 of 4
latest reply