They say "Preferred method, PayPal, but then have certain Credit Cards listed as well?

sobbie15
Community Member

I am confused as a buyer on EBay.  The sellers that say, "PayPal Only", I understand,  What I don't understand is when a seller lists an item as "Preferred Method-PayPal", yet has certain Credit Cards listed, along with PayPal?  Or when a seller lists payment method, with PayPal, and Credit Cards?  There have been times when I have wanted to buy a 'Big Ticket' item, and it 'appears' the sellers take credit cards, but when I go to purchase the item, I am automatically taken to the 'Sign In' page for PayPal.  I don't see an area to choose a credit card, and not my Bank Account?  What am  I missing?

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

They say "Preferred method, PayPal, but then have certain Credit Cards listed as well?

Most sellers do not have merchant credit card accounts. So we use Paypal as a mediator.

Some sellers, usually well-established with B&M stores and a good relationship with their commercial banking manager, do accept credit cards directly, but they also offer direct credit card payments.

However, most online buyers seem to like using the anonymity of PP. To the extent that some regulars of those B&M sellers will continue to use PP, even though they have been dealing with the seller for years.

For the confusing notes on listings, put it down to boilerplate added to description templates at various times. If you would prefer to use your credit card directly, contact the seller and ask if he can do that. And double check that he does ship to Canada at the same time. Just because.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Most sellers do not have merchant credit card accounts. So we use Paypal as a mediator.

Some sellers, usually well-established with B&M stores and a good relationship with their commercial banking manager, do accept credit cards directly, but they also offer direct credit card payments.

However, most online buyers seem to like using the anonymity of PP. To the extent that some regulars of those B&M sellers will continue to use PP, even though they have been dealing with the seller for years.

For the confusing notes on listings, put it down to boilerplate added to description templates at various times. If you would prefer to use your credit card directly, contact the seller and ask if he can do that. And double check that he does ship to Canada at the same time. Just because.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

About the bank account, in my opinion you are always safer to back your PP account with your credit card.

If things go pear-shaped, PP offers good Buyer Protection until their 45 day deadline.

But a credit card also has a 'chargeback' system and most have deadlines between 60 and 90 days. A few will even go to 120 days.

A bank account has no protection like that. Nor does a prepaid card. Nor money orders. Nor cash payments.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply