What if a seller cancels transaction after I paid and then wants to sell item offline to avoid fees?

I paid for an item, received confirmation from the seller, received a shipping notice and then out of nowhere started getting cancellation notices from ebay and paypal. The reasons for cancelling included "I changed my mind" and on paypal they indicated the item was previously sold to someone else and they no longer had inventory. The seller then contacted me outside of ebay and offered to sell me the iphone locally if I could pick it up and noted they had to cancel the order because they were not aware of all the ebay fees.

Ebay is waiting on me to cancel the transaction. What are my options and will ebay ensure the seller is not allowed to sell here?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

What if a seller cancels transaction after I paid and then wants to sell item offline to avoid fees?

You can Report the off-eBay transaction offer to eBay. This is taken very seriously.

Do NOT agree to a cancellation until you have your money back.

With a Mutual Cancellation you can leave feedback. The most effective feedback is calm and factual.

At the same time you will be asked to leave Detailed Seller Ratings. The lowest Rating is ONE star (normal is five). If a seller's DSRs drop below 4.3 his ability to list and sell are severely restricted.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

You can Report the off-eBay transaction offer to eBay. This is taken very seriously.

Do NOT agree to a cancellation until you have your money back.

With a Mutual Cancellation you can leave feedback. The most effective feedback is calm and factual.

At the same time you will be asked to leave Detailed Seller Ratings. The lowest Rating is ONE star (normal is five). If a seller's DSRs drop below 4.3 his ability to list and sell are severely restricted.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Is this a common occurrence on ebay - sellers cancelling transactions after payment?

It does not seem like ebay takes any automatic action against disingenuous or fraudulent sellers. Is feedback the only way to make sure we are all spared these kind of sellers? I am sure if I leave any negative feedback I will get the token retaliation feedback.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

No it's not common. Keep in mind that over 200 million items are listed on eBay every day.

Every movement has its lunatic fringe, asked we used to say in the New Democratic Youth.

Sellers can only leave positive feedback. That's why some sellers wait until the buyer has left positive before leaving any. I disagree with this and leave thanks and some shipping info as soon as I have shipped. (This also helps me remember which items are paid and shipped).

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Is feedback the only way to make sure we are all spared these kind of sellers?

Oh, no!

Feedback is mostly useful to future buyers.

The Report is one method of drawing bad sellers to the company's attention.

Your Dispute is another, especially when eBay loses its fees on refunding or if PP refunds and has to chase the seller.

When you leave FB you are also asked to leave Detailed Seller Ratings. EBay watches those closely.

The normal rating is Five Stars.

If a seller's ratings drop below 4.3, his ability to list and sell are severely restricted.

The lowest rating is ONE Star. (no stars is a free pass)

Message 5 of 5
latest reply