What is the best magnifier for coins to buy? I'm going cross-eyed. Need help here and thanks.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

What is the best magnifier for coins to buy? I'm going cross-eyed. Need help here and thanks.

The things you need to know are:

Tthat larger is weaker, so that 2X 'Sherlock Holmes' magnifier is not very useful, except as a reading glass.

Anything over 10X becomes hard to focus.

A light incorporated into the glass makes it much more efficient.

Some magnifiers use two lenses (a 2X and a 10X for example)  which can be used separately or together .

A magnifier which can be closed when not in use will stay unscratched.

For well under $20 you can get magnifiers that fit all of these criteria from Lighthouse in Montreal or Unitrade in Toronto. Both are online.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

The things you need to know are:

Tthat larger is weaker, so that 2X 'Sherlock Holmes' magnifier is not very useful, except as a reading glass.

Anything over 10X becomes hard to focus.

A light incorporated into the glass makes it much more efficient.

Some magnifiers use two lenses (a 2X and a 10X for example)  which can be used separately or together .

A magnifier which can be closed when not in use will stay unscratched.

For well under $20 you can get magnifiers that fit all of these criteria from Lighthouse in Montreal or Unitrade in Toronto. Both are online.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

thanks so much for answering, it's greatly appreciated!!!!
Message 3 of 3
latest reply