Why do I pay a fee to apparently avoid import charges, and then get charged anyway?

otakui
Community Member

Ok, so I ordered an $80 US item from the US, and the auction included a Global Delivery Program fee of $13.42 US, and says "No additional import charges at delivery!"  It arrived via FedEx, along with a bill for $19.54 CAN for import charges.  What gives?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Why do I pay a fee to apparently avoid import charges, and then get charged anyway?

I am also very curious about that, I hope ebay will not just close their eyes when Canadian buyers are forced to pay two import charges.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Might be worth asking the seller , he may reimburse the 19.54 . Maybe you could let us know how you make out, if time allows. Thanks.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Unfortunately, buried in the Global Shipping Program's Buyer User Agreement, is some fine print that says that the buyer will be completely responsible for any additional fees that may be charged when the item is delivered.

It is really too bad that the Global Shipping Program is being pushed very hard onto inexperienced sellers on eBay.com. They don't know what they are doing with international shipping, so they have no way to know how outrageously expensive this program is, or how unfair it is for the buyers, until their buyers start complaining, and at that point, they are now finding out that once they have "opted in" to the GSP, there is no way to "opt out". All they can do is disable the GSP on every, individual listing they make.

The import fees are sent directly to the GSP contractor (Pitney Bowes).The seller doesn't receive any of them, and doesn't even have any good way to find out how much their buyers are being charged. IMO, it is not fair to pressure the seller about refunding them, but as a buyer, I would never purchase anything that used the GSP. I would message the seller and let them know that you would like to buy the item if they would remove the GSP or relist without it.

You can tell which ebay.com listings use GSP becuase there will be an "Import Fee" column shown on the Shipping & Handling tab. FYI, if you don't see the amount in the Import Fee column, then you should view the listing on eBay.com. I have heard that some Canadian buyers just see that the costs will be provided on checkout. You just need to change the ".ca" in the URL to ".com" and then press Enter. The import fees have always been shown in the Shipping and Handling tabon all listings I have checked on eBay.com..

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

it seems ebays new "import charge venture" also demonstrates NO discretion for NAFTA eligible items.

advertised as "No additional import charges at delivery!" if this is not true its only a matter of time before there is a class action brought against them.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

First mistake you made was using a courier service Fedex and UPS are the worst for adding surcharges on international shipments. BUT your biggest mistake was buying from a seller using the GSP in the first place. You are charged import and duties on items that are exempt from such charges. This includes reading material, instructional material or educational material, USED items and most new items UNDER $200 US. Do not buy from any sellers who use the GSP. It is just a scam by EBay to soak more money from international buyers. I always ask if the seller is willing to not use GSP and I explain to them why. They are usually very cooperative on this matter. Just ask.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply