Why does ebay allow sellers to extort more money from the buyers with their Global Shipping Program?

normpop
Community Member

Often I come accross sellers who extort 2x - 3x or more the original shipping cost by using the Global shipping Program.  Most often, this fee is on items that have no duty accessed when coming into Canada.  Why should I pay brokerage fees for zero duty.  I can pay any the associated GST when I pick up the parcel at the post office.  I tried to find an email address for Ebay representatives through the contact us pages - no way to actually contact anyone from Ebay through 'contact us' - just a convoluted path that returns upon itself.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Why does ebay allow sellers to extort more money from the buyers with their Global Shipping Program?

I agree, it's a bull*hit system. And these sellers that charge $178 to ship a $29 parcel!

I got 2 motorcycle fenders shipped here to Canada in the same box....1 year ago. shipping cost of $125.

Same seller..last week...1 fender, he quotes a shipping cost of $279 to Canada....I ask a question...will you ship for actual cost to Canada...your quote is either a JOKE or a mistake. HE BLOCKED ME AS A BIDDER, didn't even answer...but still has International Shipping available.........

This is thievery...straight and simple.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Best way to defeat the Global Scamming Program(GSP) is simply to boycott/ stop buying any listing offering GSP

The only way ebay listen to anything from its users, their wallet has to feel the pain first then their ear might start to twitch.

AVOID GSP AT ALL COST if you wish for changes.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

As a rule, I don't buy from any sellers that use the GSP, pure and simple.

You're right, the costs are obscene.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

The good folks who designed the GSP never took the buyer into account. It was assumed that international buyers would be so grateful for all these new offers of US goods being suddenly made available to them that they wouldn't think twice about the costs. And it does seem to be true in some cases.

The best thing to do is to vote with your back button, like many of us do. Better yet, use List View (not Gallery View) to search for items and just skip right over any listing that has the "Customs Services and International Tracking Provided" blurb, since those are the GSP items.

"will you ship for actual cost to Canada...your quote is either a JOKE or a mistake. HE BLOCKED ME AS A BIDDER, didn't even answer"

Well, maybe that wasn't exactly the best way to ask... Something about flies and honey and vinegar...
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

This is not an answer to your question but I agree with you. I have seen a lot of items listed on Ebay that have no duty when coming into Canada but ebay allows the sellers to use tha GSP to rip us off and I'm noticing it on more and more sellers listings. Boycot these sellers because you can usually find the same item from another seller who just charges regular shipping and even if they charge a couple of dollars more for the item it is still cheaper than paying duty on a non duty item.

I was also told that GSP doesn't kick in if the item price is under $18.00, not sure if this is true so instead of taking the chance I just boycot.

And as far as ebay doing anything about this I wouldn't hold my breath, their to busy counting their money to take time out to actually listen to us.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply