Why is a seller unable to lower a shipping rate?

w.roy
Community Member

While a listing was active, i asked a seller to offer a lower than advertised shipping rate to my location.  He agreed to lower his rate from $17.56 to $9.00.  When I won the auction, I received an invoice with the high shipping rate,  I asked the seller to send me a new invoice with the agreed upon lower rate.  His response was to say he was unable to change the rate due to the Global Shipping Program and that my two options were to send him the lower total in cash or cancel the transaction.  I'm leery of sending cash, so I offered to pay through PayPal the total with the higher shipping rate, then he could reimburse me the difference easily. The seller has not responded to my offer.  Why can't he just send me his email address so that I may pay him directly, or is this some sort of scam?

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Why is a seller unable to lower a shipping rate?

he was unable to change the rate due to the Global Shipping Program

Actually, he's right.

Another failure of the GSP.

He could however, invoice you for the item directly through Paypal Send Money.

He should include the eBay transaction number in the invoice to help everyone track what is being sold. When you pay, you are covered by Paypal's Buyer Protection. And he marks the item Paid manually, so that's all good.

The suggestion to pay the GSP price and hope for a refund is .... optimistic... naive....sweet? But then I am a nasty cynical old biddy.

BTW with both your "full price and a refund" and my "direct billing through Paypal" suggestions, the seller would be paying eBay Final Value Fees. That may be what is the sticking point for him.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply