selling fake items

Hoping someone here can provide direction. I tried to open a claim with eBay for assistance but since the auction is over, the form email won't process.

Needing some direction here please! I purchased three brand bracelets that were advertised authentic but are fake. They took over 7 weeks to arrive (past their advertised time) and I threw them in the kitchen drawer in disgust when I opened them and knew right away that they were fake. I contacted the buyer this week, about a month or less after receiving them on principle alone (normally, I would just suck it up for being naive and trusting), and first they said to return and they would refund. Then I informed them the shipping costs would be more than what the items cost and I would be out of my fake product and real money. I also told her it was against eBay policy to sell fake items. She then said to keep the items and she'll refund my money.

I thanked her and told her it was the right thing to do, She then responds, that I can keep the items and she will refund half my money. I told her this was not okay when selling fake items. The actual company confirmed they were fake unless purchased directly through their website. The seller has negative feedback about them being fake, and I'm sure I have missed deadlines because I never expected to be purchasing fake items advertised as authentic and the buyer actually using pictures from the real company website.

She is now telling me to send the items back and will refund my money, so back to square one. Please don't berate me for being naive, uniformed or dumb for "getting what you paid for" as I have already beat myself up enough. I am asking for direction and if I have any recourse with this buyer at this point.

Thank you for your help! Much appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

selling fake items

Can I berate you about deadlines?

Let's turn this into a learning experience.

Yeah, I hate those too.

The deadline for an Item Not As Described dispute on eBay is 45 days from purchase.

That's well past. And was when the item arrived after 49 (?) days.

Until that 45 days, you could have opened an Item Not Received Dispute. Unless the seller could prove delivery (not shipment) she would be required to refund you. If she didn't, Paypal will refund you and go after her for the money.

Once the item arrived, this option disappeared.

But Paypal allows disputes for 180 days. Has that date passed?

PP does require that you return the fakes to the seller (because  'he said/she said) for a refund of your original payment.

You are not refunded your return postage-- and if your seller is overseas that can start around $40 with Confirmed Delivery and you DO need confirmed delivery just as the seller did in the INR dispute above.

Your credit card, the one you really paid with (PP is just a useful mediator) may also allow 180 days or more for refunds. Call the

1-800 number on the back of the card and ask about a chargeback. Some cards do not require a return of the item.

You can leave appropriate feedback for 60 days. The most effective feedback is calm and factual. 'Counterfeit.' says it all, really.

At the same time you will be asked to leave Detailed Seller Ratings. A normal transaction gets 5 stars. The lowest Rating is ONE STAR. If a seller's DSRs drop below 4.3 her ability to list and sell are greatly restricted. Her fees may rise. Her account may be closed.

If either you or the seller left feedback, you can leave a Response to that feedback indefinitely. Again, the most effective Responses are calm and factual. 'counterfeit.' for example.

And you have been in touch with the company.

Many companies are very protective of their brand. If this company is a member of the VERO group, eBay will on their request close down listings of products from anyone but their own sellers, including, btw, legitimate and authentic items being resold by their original purchasers.

So go back there and give them all the information you have about the seller, including name, postal address and phone numbers which are either on the eBay/PP transactions or available from eBay.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

selling fake items

Can I berate you about deadlines?

Let's turn this into a learning experience.

Yeah, I hate those too.

The deadline for an Item Not As Described dispute on eBay is 45 days from purchase.

That's well past. And was when the item arrived after 49 (?) days.

Until that 45 days, you could have opened an Item Not Received Dispute. Unless the seller could prove delivery (not shipment) she would be required to refund you. If she didn't, Paypal will refund you and go after her for the money.

Once the item arrived, this option disappeared.

But Paypal allows disputes for 180 days. Has that date passed?

PP does require that you return the fakes to the seller (because  'he said/she said) for a refund of your original payment.

You are not refunded your return postage-- and if your seller is overseas that can start around $40 with Confirmed Delivery and you DO need confirmed delivery just as the seller did in the INR dispute above.

Your credit card, the one you really paid with (PP is just a useful mediator) may also allow 180 days or more for refunds. Call the

1-800 number on the back of the card and ask about a chargeback. Some cards do not require a return of the item.

You can leave appropriate feedback for 60 days. The most effective feedback is calm and factual. 'Counterfeit.' says it all, really.

At the same time you will be asked to leave Detailed Seller Ratings. A normal transaction gets 5 stars. The lowest Rating is ONE STAR. If a seller's DSRs drop below 4.3 her ability to list and sell are greatly restricted. Her fees may rise. Her account may be closed.

If either you or the seller left feedback, you can leave a Response to that feedback indefinitely. Again, the most effective Responses are calm and factual. 'counterfeit.' for example.

And you have been in touch with the company.

Many companies are very protective of their brand. If this company is a member of the VERO group, eBay will on their request close down listings of products from anyone but their own sellers, including, btw, legitimate and authentic items being resold by their original purchasers.

So go back there and give them all the information you have about the seller, including name, postal address and phone numbers which are either on the eBay/PP transactions or available from eBay.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

selling fake items

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

selling fake items

Berate away, I guess. I appreciate the information as that is what I needed to know. The company is not on Vero. So I guess I am SOL... so to speak. Shipping to China is going to cost me double what I paid for this junk. I have noticed that the seller no longer has the products listed in their store. And, 60 days has passed so I can't leave 'appropriate feedback". Again, my fault for sitting on this, fuming and we were also on vacation.

Thank you for your response. It took me all day to find it! That's how unfamiliar I am with all of this.

Thanks for your information.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

selling fake items

Thank you. I now consider myself out $20. Yes, it's not a LOT of money, but it's the principle of the entire thing. If it sounds too good to be true, well,...you know the rest. Sigh.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply