Interesting Trump effect?

In the stamp collecting world, sometimes world events can pique collectors interests in starting a new area of collecting.

For example I remember that Iraq stamps became much more in demand during the Iraq war.

I'm wondering if the media attention around the Trump/Russia stuff has piqued Russian collectors interest toward USA stamps?

I sold two USA lots to Russian buyers over the weekend. I do not remember the last time I shipped USA stamps to Russia. I am regularly shipping other stuff there but not USA. 

Certainly if Russians have a new interest in collecting USA stamps I have an edge, I suspect many sellers (on .COM) won't ship to Russia without tracking and I (so far) still do....

Anyway one never knows but one has to wonder.... 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I keep expecting a Trump effect too, but I've been on the lookout for something very different than what you described.

I've wondered if Americans would be less inclined to buy from Canada, or moreover, if eBay.com will be less inclined to show Canadian products.

Or.......... they could all just get so fed up that things go the other way.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Yes the stock market has (finally) begun worrying today too.

I would think that the "less inclined" would be from anywhere and not just Canada. I've been wondering about that since the election was under way. My US buyer base has been lessening, however the amount of "Canadian friendly" stuff I've been offering has grown over the same time, so it is hard to say for certain what's causing fewer US buyers.

As a note, in the olden (ie before the internet) days, I had a very tough time attracting US buyers, it was very hard for me to get and keep them. The internet changed all that, but mindsets can be significant things, if the mindset becomes "buy from home" first, it could have an impact for sure...
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Yes, but after an initial steep dive the market did recover half way back to where it started today.

I think that collectors will buy from anyone who has what they want as long as they can find it, especially if items are uncommon, but others might not be so lucky.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Started watching CNN with about 2 weeks left in the lead up to the US vote....

I was bored with everything else on TV

Worked on eBay and listened to the TV... as I almost always do.

Today it almost seems like I am watching a soap opera on TV.

many years ago... many, many years ago Trump was only important when I played "Bridge"

-------------------------------------

A Trump vote is about 50:50 in the US... but elsewhere....  Trump has built an invisible wall.

and then  on a Saturday... one day trump became President....  women.... worldwide showed how they felt...about this new President.

What next???   Your guess is as good as mine..  The whole world is watching Trump...

Who will Trump him?     

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Between you and me and the fence post, Trudeau scares me as much as Trump does.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

nan -- if you get MSNBC check it out.

DH is addicted, especially to Rachel Maddow, but I find it a little too partisan. I mean, I tend to agree with most of their opinions, but they tend to get a bit shrill.

So then it's BBC and AlJazeerah for balance.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

I keep expecting a Trump effect too, but I've been on the lookout for something very different than what you described.

I've wondered if Americans would be less inclined to buy from Canada, or moreover, if eBay.com will be less inclined to show Canadian products.

Or.......... they could all just get so fed up that things go the other way.

They sure don't seem to mind showing the U.S. products on .ca.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Between you and me and the fence post, Trudeau scares me as much as Trump does.

At least he doesn't have an avowed fascist (Steve Bannon) and a known Putin supporter (Mannifort) pouring poison in his ears.  We should be grateful. 

I expect the Trump effect will eventually trickle down to just about everyone trying to sell across borders.  Just wait until Trump remembers NAFTA again.  Fortunately he's been too busy so far insulting America's allies, initiating FUBARs, inspiring backlashes, and signing his name to everything put in front of him to notice the oversight. 

On the other hand, if Trump insults Trudeau as effectively and thoroughly as he did Turnbull yesterday (PM of Australia), a lot of Americans may suddenly turn more of their attention to Canada, whether out of sympathy, solidarity, or curiosity.  

If I were being an optimist, I'd say the world is about to experience more chaos than it has in the last 100 years.  If I were being a pessimist, well, I won't say...suffice it to add that selling online products may become the least of our worries. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

nan -- if you get MSNBC check it out.

DH is addicted, especially to Rachel Maddow, but I find it a little too partisan. I mean, I tend to agree with most of their opinions, but they tend to get a bit shrill.

Yeah, Rachael Maddow is a scream, generally spot-on, but a scream nonetheless.  Still a voice in the wilderness at this point.  

She's Churchill to CNN's Chamberlain (Anderson Cooper), who is a figure of almost comic bathos in his attempts to give bigots and liers a fair voice.  No doubt he's been told by his superiors to provide "balanced coverage" (if I recall, CNN is owned by a Trump supporter). 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply