Steel Leg Traps Being Used in Calgary Park

Hi everybody. I'm "new" here but used to come to the eBay forums many years ago and met a lot of very nice people then. I hope there might be some of you like them here now, that would be interested in knowing about something disturbing that happened in one of our Canadian Parks / Calgary's Parks - specifically Fish Creek Provincial Park. I received an email tonight informing about the use of steel leg traps in the Park by the City to trap animals, notably a beaver, that was found chewing it's own leg of and bleeding to death inhumanely. This is just completely shocking to me. It was right next to a pathway where joggers frequent, children go, and people walk their dogs. I am completely sickened by this and tbh that it was on Global News back in July yet got little media attention or results from City officials in stopping the use of these traps. I have only today even heard of this happening in the Park. If you are interested as a Canadian or a Calgarian, or just a humane person concerned about not only our animals of course but children, dogs and others, I hope you will please have a look at the story and pass the links on in social media so that it gets some proper attention and these traps might be banned in Fish Creek Park and in any other Park like it in Canada. There is currently a petition going around through PETA on this, but I would encourage anyone who may be against that organization to not be put off looking at this as it's not a tree hugger or Peta issue, it's about the safety of our Parks and in addition the trapping of animals in a humane way in Canada. The links are..

http://globalnews.ca/video/1470505/beaver-caught-in-trap-in-fish-creek-park/

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/142/119/212/?taf_id=12192506&cid=fb_na

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

They should have the area if public labelled to STAY AWAY... Those traps may not be humane but if you feel that way don't fight it call the ministry and tell them you will quit your job to sit there for months to try and humanely catch the beavers..... Your right it is cruel but don't complain unless you have a solution because then it is just pointless... One Example I was driving to work about 7 years ago and a BEaver **bleep** gave way .... Washd out the major highway taking 4 vehicles for a ride 6 injured 1 infant died .... 7 Human cruely tossed about in there vehicles with 2 parents having to turned around and see there new born Dead all because the ministry did not trap and get rid of the beavers,.... Other example I have seen entire bodies of water dry up killing off entire eco systems in lakes due to beavers building damns.... There are 2 sides to everything and if you truly see this as wrong an inhumane find a solution because saying traps are mean doesn't change the fact that the Ministry is obligated to keep us safe and from stopping entire ponds and habitats from dying off due to what beavers do ... So have have personall seen beaver responsible for 100 of species in a certain lake die because of beaver.. I have seen people die because of beavers .... Your right without a doubt but you have no solution and I am willing to bet other then posting this you will not take the time to help find a solution .... The fact that it's in a public park is a little messed up for sure and they should maybe rethink it in such public places but on a big scale the trapping has to be done because as many 10,000s of animal right s activist that there are nobody has gotten past what the problem is to even think of a good solution and that is the problem in itself .... If you and the 10,000s would present a solution I am sure things would change but simply saying it's not right well your not wrong but not solving anything ... Good luck to you i would love to see change but doubt it's gonna happen with a solution
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

valve37
Community Member

Conibear traps are humane. Otherwise known as "catch em & kill em" traps. The bars squeeze the body and the animal suffocates. Of course the correct size must be used for beaver to do the job. They should only be used as under water sets to keep other animals such as your pet dog safe from them. Another humane trap is a wire cage set under water at the entrance to the beaver house or bank house tunnel. The beaver swims in and the door closes behind  drowning the beaver.

Nuisance beaver can't be tolerated. My Dad a Eastern Ontario trapper was being called constantly by the ministry to take out beaver that were flooding farmers fields or cutting down trees at cottage and private home properties. He used only conibear and cage underwater sets.   

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

People need to pick there battles and the way they fight them ... Beavers are not  Polar Bear or whales or dolphins or tigers there are very populated and cause extreme damage and leaving in small northern Communities all my life I have seen Many things happen due to beaver that most people don't eve realize beavers do ...

Unfortunatly sometimes they just gotta go and Valve the trap your talking about is a good way to do it . I am not familiar with all the trapping method and Traps out there but what I do know without a doubt is they are no indangered and they very much indanger other species and human and they have to be trapped and dealt with ...

Message 4 of 4
latest reply