'Super rare copy of 'Super Mario Bros.' sells for over $30,000' ebay Auction

7 REPLIES 7

The link was embedded in the story but here it is for the sake of ease....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINT-Super-Mario-Bros-Nintendo-NES-Factory-Sealed-Brand-New-HSeam-VGA-Gradab...

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

As a gamer, I love seeing this stuff. The original game (which was the first game I ever played as a wee lad) was sold at the end of 1985, so for a sealed copy to still exist 32 years later is quite remarkable (especially in that condition, with the original price sticker). To us nerds, it's very much like holding a true piece of history in your hands. Though knowing how some collectors are, and after shelling out over $30,000USD (~$37,000CAD), I'm sure the winning bidder is going to be treating their arriving package like this:

Handling Hazardous Material royalty-free stock photo
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I wonder if it was deadstock in the back of some toystore that went out of business when Toys'R'Us arrived?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

WOWWWW

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

It's also an interesting case study for last-minute bids.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 3.40.07 PM.png

Out of curiosity form a buyer's perspective, how does one pay for an item costing $30,000? Would you assume the limit on their credit card allowed that purchase?

Are there checks and balances in place by ebay to prevent people from bidding on something if they haven't demonstrated they have the means to pay for it?

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I'm guessing they would either have the money in their PayPal balance or a high-limit credit card.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply