This may have been discussed before about shipping but....

First of all sitting here glancing out my window and there are snowflakes the size of loonies coming down,so much for Van. Island south having mild winters.....anyway was wondering if anyone can estimate the amount of shipping dollars Canada Post is loosing by Canadian sellers that live close to the border drive across and ship on US side? I am guessing that the amount would run well over 10 million dollars.I know of one seller in Langley that sellls app. $100,000.00 per year and she drives across twice a week and ships from US side,fills up with cheaper gas when needed and does some groceries on way back.....big savings for her buyers and for here also. I wish I lived close to the border as I would be doing same thing and then at least I ccould be more competitive with the US sellers in shipping costs. How many Canadian sellers do you think does this? 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I'm sure that some sellers cross the border on their own but there are also many that use companies in Canada that will take their packages to the US and ship them from there.  There Is at least one company like that in BC, I don't know if they are close to you or not but Im sure that someone here can give you info if you are interested,

Why do you not ship within Canada?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the info on companies that ship to USA,wondering what their fees would be?

Most small items that don't fit thru the slot cost way to much to ship withing Canada as Canada Post doesn't have a small parcel rate.It's cheaper to ship a book that doesn't fit thru the slot to FL. than it would be to ship from Van Isle to QC. in the 15 years I have been selling on ebay app. 85% of all my sales went to USA 10% to worldwide and about 5% within Canada.Certain Canadian items like military do get purchased by Canadian buyers and when I list those type of items it is cheaper to ship withing Canada and I do state that on those listings 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@oldconvent wrote:

... info on companies that ship to USA, wondering what their fees would be?

These are the ones I've heard of (their websites have the details):

chitchatsexpress.com - Vancouver, Toronto, Halifax
dykpost.com - Edmonton, Red Deer, Calgary
runninred.com - Winnipeg
stallionexpress.com - Toronto

-..-

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

okay thanks

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@oldconvent wrote:

Thanks for the info on companies that ship to USA,wondering what their fees would be?

Most small items that don't fit thru the slot cost way to much to ship withing Canada as Canada Post doesn't have a small parcel rate.It's cheaper to ship a book that doesn't fit thru the slot to FL. than it would be to ship from Van Isle to QC. in the 15 years I have been selling on ebay app. 85% of all my sales went to USA 10% to worldwide and about 5% within Canada.Certain Canadian items like military do get purchased by Canadian buyers and when I list those type of items it is cheaper to ship withing Canada and I do state that on those listings 

You have a number of items that could be shipped letter mail in Canada but have shipping costs only for the US so the listings can't even be seen on.ca.  It's obviously up to you as to where you want to ship but I think it would make sense to give Canadian buyers the option of purchasing your items even if it just increases your sales by 5 or 10%.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Yes I am listing on .com so the shipping cost is for US buyersonly as there is no section to submit a shipping costs within Canada,as mentioned certain items I list like Military Belt Buckles I put in a shipping cost for within Canada in my description,so in this case these items are generally bought by Canadian buyers.There are a few other small items along with the military that also attract Canadian buyers.I think most buyers will look at ebay.com anyway.It's just a big hassle for me to give the various shipping costs by province and postal code which varies greatly in cost and none are cheap for the bulkier items.The time I did give them a quote for cost they never even got back to me.Canadians are not much into collecting as Americans are. I used to have an antique store back in MB.along a major hyw. that connected Grand Forks to Wpg. so I got lots of American customers in the store.I soon found out that if I got a group of 10 Americans in the store 9 of them would be buyers,if I got 10 Canadians in the store 1 ofr them would be a buyer.I could go on and on with similar comparisons.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@oldconvent wrote:

... I am listing on .com so the shipping cost is for US buyers only as there is no section to submit a shipping costs within Canada,

Pick a rate to an expensive part of Canada (X0A 0H0), convert to US$ and use that for the flat rate to Canada (you can refund overpayment to buyer if it ends up too large).

Calculator: https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Then under International shipping (flat rate) choose from:

Economy Int'l Shipping
Standard Int'l Shipping
Expedited Int'l Shipping

Select Canada as the only country and put in the rate.

-..-

Message 8 of 8
latest reply