Turn back the clock 51 years to 1966

Prepping a phone book to list and I thought I'd share the 1966 postal page.

For price comparison, the 5 cent chocolate bar was moving towards 10 cents around then and adult minimum wages were $1/hour or lower. Wage details: http://srv116.services.gc.ca/dimt-wid/sm-mw/rpt2.aspx

1966 phone book postal.jpg

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

One of the reasons mail was very popular as communication method in 1966 was that long distance phone calls were not cheap (multiply by 10 to get a rough idea how much these examples would be in todays $$)

1966 phone rates.jpg

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I had to get a part-time job just to pay my phone bill at age 16 because many of my friends lived in another town less than 20 miles from me but were considered long-distance! Remember, there was no internet. If you wanted to communicate with someone, you had to pick up a telephone. Today, I despise speaking on the phone with people...... 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Today, I despise speaking on the phone with people...... 

Speaking on the phone provides people with a more human connection. I despise people who text... People and relationships are suffering because of technology.

People just aren't communicating anymore, technology has consumed most people and the social connection is fading. 

I see couples sitting at Tim Hortens  having a coffee and their not even talking. People are consumed with the idiotic smart phones...... SAD!! 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

That, I agree, is sad. I don't text people for the fun of it, and I certainly disapprove of smartphones at the dinner table.

The part I omit was that between the ages of 16 and present day, my job required that I use the telephone to conduct business so I'd spend hours speaking to people. This ruined the telephone for me. That and a hearing disorder that makes it physically uncomfortable to use a telephone to speak to people now. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

In The  1980's to 2001 my Father lived in Mexico 

if you wanted to phone there you just about had to mortgage something to do so plus their phone system sucked

could take hours days weeks to get through and if you did it could end suddenly

Limited the calls to 4 or 5 a year and was constantly shocked by the Bills I got.  Would have been cheaper to go there a few times a year

Course until we got unlimited calls for a reduced monthly rate it could be pretty hairy when you got your bill in Canada

we use unlimited calling to phone a couple of people   With unlimited calling saves a lot

some of our monthly bills say we save  $500 to a $1000.00 a month

I prefer a Land Line

have a Basic Cell Phone

only 2 people have the number

My Mom has Health issues so it's used to keep in touch when we are away 

many look at me like I have 2 heads cause I don't want one

I don't have the urge in anyway to have one other than for that

I've always been interested in the History of the Phone

my ID here weaversofspeech  is phone related

Weavers of Speech is a Print put out approx 1915 by AT&T

Focuses on Telephone Switchboard Operators of the time which were mainly women

There was criticism and concern at that time about women doing this job

some felt it was not appropriate

The phone company brought this out to counter these concerns

Being a Operator at that time required a lot of multitasking and decision making

not an easy job

Primitive Electrical Wiring etc made this a dangerous job one could be prone to shock or electrocution 

The Phone Companies Used this Print which spread to other forms of advertising to Let The Public know these were very highly trained individuals and they were lucky to have them 

weavers

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Prepping a phone book to list and I thought I'd share the 1966 postal page.

For price comparison, the 5 cent chocolate bar was moving towards 10 cents around then and adult minimum wages were $1/hour or lower. Wage details: http://srv116.services.gc.ca/dimt-wid/sm-mw/rpt2.aspx

1966 phone book postal.jpg

Thanks for the memories. I remember it well as it was the year I graduated from high school

Message 7 of 7
latest reply