We may be about to lose more of our freedom and democracy thanks to the 'Harper' government.

24 REPLIES 24

We may be about to lose more of our freedom and democracy thanks to the 'Harper' government.

Seems the link doesn't work. I'll have to copy and paste.

National Post Oct 24 2014

OTTAWA — The Conservatives are understood to be considering new legislation that would make it an offence to condone terrorist acts online.

There is frustration in government, and among law enforcement agencies, that the authorities can’t detain or arrest people who express sympathy for atrocities committed overseas and who may pose a threat to public safety, one Conservative MP said. “Do we need new offences? If so which?”

Sources suggest the government is likely to bring in new hate speech legislation that would make it illegal to claim terrorist acts are justified online.

The Prime Minister told the House of Commons on Thursday that Canada’s law and policing powers need to be strengthened in the areas of surveillance, detention and arrest. He said work is already under way to provide law enforcement agencies with “additional tools” and that work will now be expedited.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

So what your concern D, who wants hate speech plus Canada is a melting pot country that could benefit with stronger laws.
I don't think it effect's our freedom of speach.?
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Good stuff. Hope it's tighter laws that will help reel in some of the worst of the 90 who had their passports lifted and before they become

mujahids.

"Sources suggest the government is likely to bring in new hate speech legislation that would make it illegal to claim terrorist acts are justified online."

Wonder where I've read that justification! I've heard it on radio call in programs. 

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Well it depends on the definitions. We could start with that overused and often misused word 'terrorism'. If the government deems something terrorist, then that's all there is to it from an authoritarian Harper point of view. History has shown that one person's freedom fighter is another person's terrorist. Even the word terrorism was first used by the British to describe the American revolutionaries who are now considered heroes and fathers of the nation. I come from a long line of rebels who fought and finally won their freedom after 400 years but during that time they were labeled terrorists. So when it says in the article > "Sources suggest the government is likely to bring in new hate speech legislation that would make it illegal to claim terrorist acts are justified online." that takes freedom of speech and opinion away and a person or group can become an authorized target by the government. There are people and groups out there who are fighting for their freedom and for justice and based on the Harper government's view if someone happens to disagree with them......then those people are in deep trouble. We do not live in China or Saudi Arabia or other countries where if you disagree with the government you become an enemy of the 'state'. We live in a democracy and one of the foundations of that democracy is freedom of speech and thought and and that applies to everyone. 

Photobucket
Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Relax Prior, new laws will be nothing compared to this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2807313/Iranian-woman-sentenced-death-killing-man-claims-tri...

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Their lives valve, their traditions. Did you know in England they use to hang children, yes that's right 'children' for stealing something as small as a loaf of bread. Did you know that they use to burn people, especially women, who they claimed were witches! But do you know why those things don't happen anymore? Because we learned and we changed and it wasn't done at the point of someone else's gun or bombs dropping on us, we evolved on our own. These other people and their traditions will as well through education, not military ordinance. But if we start pushing them, they're going to push back and have. We are not the Marshall of the world. We are not the Moral Police. Neither are we without stains on our own hands, in our own countries. 

If you believe, I mean really believe in helping women like this then open up your house to them and take them in. You have a fairly nice home and live in an affluent part of the city, they'll really appreciate your help.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 25
latest reply

@Fortunatelyprior-of-verity*shake-hands-with-your-devil wrote:

Their lives valve, their traditions. Did you know in England they use to hang children, yes that's right 'children' for stealing something as small as a loaf of bread. Did you know that they use to burn people, especially women, who they claimed were witches! But do you know why those things don't happen anymore? Because we learned and we changed and it wasn't done at the point of someone else's gun or bombs dropping on us, we evolved on our own. These other people and their traditions will as well through education, not military ordinance. But if we start pushing them, they're going to push back and have. We are not the Marshall of the world. We are not the Moral Police. Neither are we without stains on our own hands, in our own countries. 

If you believe, I mean really believe in helping women like this then open up your house to them and take them in. You have a fairly nice home and live in an affluent part of the city, they'll really appreciate your help.

Fortunately most cultures have evolved past  hanging children or burning witches.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

They still hang children and the mentally challenged in Texas.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Please show us where they hanged a child in Texas,  or any other Western country .

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Marvin Wilson 2012, but I think it was electrocution. 

Photobucket
Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Marvin Wilson was 54.    

No children have been executed in Texas.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Please take a look at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_juvenile_offenders_executed_in_the_United_States_since_1976

The first one on top of the list is from Texas.

So is the third one.

So are the fifth ans sixth ones.

etc....

It is quite clear that Texas dominates the list of states where children have been executed.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

The youngest person on the list was 23 when they were executed.   Hardly a child.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

"Marvin Wilson was 54.  "

That name related to mentally challenged, not children.  With an IQ of 61, Wilson was considered mentally challenged legally.

http://rt.com/usa/texas-executed-wilson-court-177/ 

While you may argue about this and that, it does not change the theme of the discussion: other civilizations with other moral values often look at our Western society as barbaric.  And they are correct in many instances.

Two wrongs never make one right but let us not be blind to our wrongs while discussing different values in other societies.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

However NU at 17 when the crimes were committed they were much too young to know the difference between right and killing someone. I think NU that may be Pierre's concern.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

Melting pot?  How about cesspool!  Are you aware that if everyone who was not born here voted for the same guy and all that were born here voted for another, we would be ruled by immigrants.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Melting pot?  How about cesspool!  Are you aware that if everyone who was not born here voted for the same guy and all that were born here voted for another, we would be ruled by immigrants.

That isn't true.

Approx. 6.8 million of Canada's current population of  35 million was born somewhere else. 

That means that at least 28 million was born in Canada.

In 2011, Canada had a foreign-born population of about 6,775,800 people. They represented 20.6% of the total population.

http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/nhs-enm/2011/as-sa/99-010-x/99-010-x2011001-eng.cfm

Les

Unless each day can be looked back upon by an individual
as one in which he has had some fun, some joy, some
real satisfaction, that day is a loss.
Message 18 of 25
latest reply

I was talking to a First Nations man and he mentioned that a lot of Canadians are worried about immigrants and how it may change the 'Canadian' way of life.

He laughed and said "yeah, we know how it feels".

Photobucket
Message 19 of 25
latest reply

Melting pot?  How about cesspool!  Are you aware that if everyone who was not born here voted for the same guy and all that were born here voted for another, we would be ruled by immigrants

excuse me

Cesspool? unless your a First Nation or possible early Asian person (theory not proven) you are being rude to all immigrants on Ebay.

Immigrants built Canada from the ground up, who do you think built all the cities and railroads of Canada the tooth fairy.

Sure there  are bad immigrants  that is true in every aspect of life, get real with your cesspool comment, any normal

reader knows you take the good with the bad in life.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply