Wynne hydro increase May 1st

valve37
Community Member

Not to be alarmed, this will happen every 6 months for the next 4 years. It's called the Liberals green energy act. I suppose this just enhances the 60% sale of Hydro One which will put billions of new infrastructure into the GTA. As for the rest of Ontario she will likely throw us a few table scraps.

Luv those energy saving smart meters!

Ontarians will soon be paying more than twice as much for electricity during peak demand periods.

The Ontario Energy Board (OEB) announced new time-of-use (TOU) electricity prices for households and small businesses. The price is increasing by approximately $5.71 per month on the “Electricity” line, and about 4.6% on the total bill, for a household that consumes 800 kWh per month.

Starting May 1st, the price for peak periods — weekdays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. — will be 16.1 cents per kilowatt hour, compared with 8 cents for off-peak hours on weekdays from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m., and all day on weekends and holidays.

The mid-peak rate of 12.2 cents a kilowatt hour will apply weekdays from 7 a.m to 11 a.m. and from 5 p.m to 7 p.m.

The Ontario Energy Board estimates the change to a 2:1 ratio between peak and off-peak rates will add $5.71 to the average household electricity bill.

“This means customers who shift use to evenings and weekends will see a greater reward for doing so,” stated the company in a release Monday. “Through recent OEB consumer research, Ontarians have signaled a need for pricing that provides greater incentives to conserve. Giving customers incentives and opportunities to reduce their bills by shifting their time of electricity use is a key objective of the OEB’s price plan.”

The opposition parties say Ontario’s already high electricity rates will “go through the roof” if the Liberals proceed with their plan to sell 60 per cent of Hydro One, the province’s giant transmission utility.

http://www.900chml.com/2015/04/20/34348/

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

valve37
Community Member

Great Wynne budget today, balanced budget in 2017!Smiley Wink That Brooklyn bridge is still for sale as well.

untitled.png 

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 2 of 35
latest reply

It sounded like a Conservative budget to me. Privatize Hydro, crack down on Unions, taking a hard stance on Health and Education funding, spending more on infrastructure, a plan to balance the books in the future, selling crown owned assets, allowing grocery stores to sell beer and more handouts to businesses. And best of all, no new taxes except for a penny on beer.

Pretty well what you would expect from a Conservative Gov't.

Unless each day can be looked back upon by an individual
as one in which he has had some fun, some joy, some
real satisfaction, that day is a loss.
Message 3 of 35
latest reply

Ontarians, want to know how to reduce your monthly hydro bill  by at least 70% without any conservation measures??? 

Just follow these simple instructions:

1. Move to Quebec!  

Based on a monthly use of 1000 kw the average bill for an Ontario resident  is 226.03!

In Quebec for the same number of kilowatts the average bill  is $67.89? 

That's 70% lower than Ontario.

Don't speak French?? Then go to option No. 2.

1. Move to British Columbia: 

While maybe British Columbia will be more suitable, as English is spoken there but Chinese would be an asset.

The average monthly hydro bill for 1000 kw is 89.12  that's 61% lower than Ontario.

Don't want to move so far??? Go to option 3.

1. Move to Manitoba

How about Manitoba?? English spoken there and the average hydro bill for 1000 kw is 81.09 64% lower than Ontario.

This huge price disparity is due to badly mismanaged and misguided energy policies of the present Provincial government, that wants to be remembered as the GREEN Government and feel good about themselves, all the while rewarding their friends and foreign investors with your money. 

And this is only the beginning, the Provincial Government has stated there are lots more rate hikes to come.

These high energy costs are one of the main reason that industry can't compete and good paying jobs are leaving Ontario.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

Can't speak for the other Provinces but Hydro in Manitoba is still Gov't owned.

Unless each day can be looked back upon by an individual
as one in which he has had some fun, some joy, some
real satisfaction, that day is a loss.
Message 5 of 35
latest reply

"Based on a monthly use of 1000 kw the average bill for an Ontario resident  is 226.03!"

I live in Napanee, Ontario.

We own a typical three bedroom bungalow.

Last month, our Ontario Hydro One invoice (including hydro charges, delivery, debt repayment charge, 13% HST, etc...) was $112.24 based on 30 day total consumption of 563.94 KWH.

I am not sure where you get this "average" bill in Ontario of $226.03 but it seems out of wack with the reality I know.

What is your electricity invoice?  monthly consumption?

All readers are invited to post their reality.

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

Four BR, 2S

Sep 2015  480.86 - $97.19

Jan 2015  691.77 - $112.00

Looks like to me Pierre you better close some windows.

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

In Alberta - 2 bedroom bung

30 days - Sept 2015 -  469.02 kWh  =  $71.99

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

Based on your own consumption, it looks to me that your post claiming

"a monthly use of 1000 kw the average bill for an Ontario resident  is 226.03!"

was not based on any reality!

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

Likely that's the average when Wynne gets through with us at the end of her green obsession to be the greenest province in Canada.

In doing so wrecking our economy. Will her carbon tax apply to consumption Pierre.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2015/03/26/average-ontario-hydro-bill-to-go-up-about-120-a-ye...

And we have heard a lot of this unsmart meter stuff going on.

http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/prescott-family-pulls-the-plug-on-hydro-one-1.1599304

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

Sorry, I am not a "conservative" and yes I want Ontario and all of Canada to become "greener", to have more respect for the environment we will leave our kids and grandkids, even if it does cost a few more dollars to do so.

And yes I favour the "smart" meters despite some technical problems with some of them.

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

@gauge33 wrote:

The average monthly hydro bill for 1000 kw is 89.12  that's 61% lower than Ontario.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I'm sorry, this is not an equivalent or even meaningful comparison.  

Although the figure itself may be accurate, it's important to take into account the factors that actually make it different from Ontario (or other provinces): 

The majority of BC residents live in the greater Vancouver area or on Vancouver Island, where (trust me, I lived there for 30 years) winters are definitely not as cold as where the majority of people in Ontario live, nor as hot in summer.  Air conditioning, which accounts for a lot of household hydro use in cities like Toronto, is far less necessary, and turned on for far fewer days a year, in a city like Vancouver.  In fact, air conditioning is pretty rare in homes in the lower mainland. 

A proper comparison of hydro use would have to include correcting the statistics for the proportionate number of households heating with electricity in BC as opposed to Ontario.  In BC, where natural gas is widely available and affordable, a great many households use electricity only to run appliances, lights, etc. 

Saying the average BC household pays $89.12 monthly and comparing that figure to Ontario households is comparing apples to oranges unless the statistics also correct for the distinctions in hydro use between the two.  

Energy is cheaper in BC, but it's not because of better policies, just luckier circumstances. 

BTW, I now live in Nova Scotia, where hydro isn't cheap either.  For a 2000 square foot house, our bill is about $140 per month averaged over the year.  And we don't heat with electricity (we use hardwood almost exclusively, in a high efficiency furnace).  Yet I don't complain about the hydro bills, because our particular local grid is powered by a combination of tidal generating station (at Annapolis Royal) and wind power.  Many people in this area also run on solar.  

Personally I believe Canada needs more local initiatives for energy diversity.  I think the long term solution is to de-structure the old paradigm of big hydro electric companies and get government more fully involved in supporting communities to develop smaller-scale programmes that rely on a variety of inputs.   This could be made to work even in the largest cities, drawing excess power from smaller communities.  

Few people mention geothermal power for instance, certainly a consideration in a country as vast as Canada.  Another example is that scientists are slowly, slowly, working on harnessing Fundy tidal power -- apparently there is an enormous potential for stupendous amounts of hydro power.  

Conservation and technological innovation must of course be the other side of that coin.  We waste so much energy in North America.  

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

But who wants to live in Manitoba or Quebec.

The interior of BC on a nice lake would be nice.

Maybe when we retire.

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

Carbon tax - Alberta a prelude to OntarioÉ

But the new carbon tax will be revenue-neutral ................... 

..............How can that beÉ .........................

...................... will cost the average household $320 annually in 2017 and $470 in 2018.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/alberta-unveils-details-of-its-climate-plan/ar-BBnjw2c?li=AAadg...

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

"But the new carbon tax will be revenue-neutral ................... .How can that be?

You should try reading the policy.  It explains how the three billion dollars raised by the tax will be given back to some (not all) of the people in Alberta.

You should also take note that many of the largest oil companies CEOs were present today and openly supported the new policy.

When did you ever see big oil supporting NDP energy and tax policies?  It is a first.

Message 15 of 35
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@gauge33 wrote:

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Although the figure itself may be accurate, it's important to take into account the factors that actually make it different from Ontario (or other provinces): 

The majority of BC residents live in the greater Vancouver area or on Vancouver Island, where (trust me, I lived there for 30 years) winters are definitely not as cold as where the majority of people in Ontario live, nor as hot in summer.  Air conditioning, which accounts for a lot of household hydro use in cities like Toronto, is far less necessary, and turned on for far fewer days a year, in a city like Vancouver.  In fact, air conditioning is pretty rare in homes in the lower mainland. 

A proper comparison of hydro use would have to include correcting the statistics for the proportionate number of households heating with electricity in BC as opposed to Ontario.  In BC, where natural gas is widely available and affordable, a great many households use electricity only to run appliances, lights, etc. 

Saying the average BC household pays $89.12 monthly and comparing that figure to Ontario households is comparing apples to oranges unless the statistics also correct for the distinctions in hydro use between the two.  

Energy is cheaper in BC, but it's not because of better policies, just luckier circumstances. 

BTW, I now live in Nova Scotia, where hydro isn't cheap either.  For a 2000 square foot house, our bill is about $140 per month averaged over the year.  And we don't heat with electricity (we use hardwood almost exclusively, in a high efficiency furnace).  Yet I don't complain about the hydro bills, because our particular local grid is powered by a combination of tidal generating station (at Annapolis Royal) and wind power.  Many people in this area also run on solar.  

Personally I believe Canada needs more local initiatives for energy diversity.  I think the long term solution is to de-structure the old paradigm of big hydro electric companies and get government more fully involved in supporting communities to develop smaller-scale programmes that rely on a variety of inputs.   This could be made to work even in the largest cities, drawing excess power from smaller communities.  

Few people mention geothermal power for instance, certainly a consideration in a country as vast as Canada.  Another example is that scientists are slowly, slowly, working on harnessing Fundy tidal power -- apparently there is an enormous potential for stupendous amounts of hydro power.  

Conservation and technological innovation must of course be the other side of that coin.  We waste so much energy in North America.  

The prices were comparing the same  number of KWHs in each province which has absolutely nothing to do with hot or cold

Message 16 of 35
latest reply

NU, in post #4 the comparison made is for 1000kw usage. The difference in the cost per province of 1000kw is the resulting cost per kw hour and in Ontario under the Wynne effect the per kw hour is higher. Does that not make the comparison a true one.

Message 17 of 35
latest reply

gauge33
Community Member

Now should read, every May 1st and every November 1st at least until the end of Wynnes mandate, and then what. 

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

Why don't you use your one ID 'valve'? 

Photobucket
Message 19 of 35
latest reply

gauge33
Community Member

Ontario leaves many questions unanswered in new climate change strategy — and that’s the point

Wynne announces Ontario climate change vision, but few details

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/many-questions-remain-about-new-ontario-climate-change-stra...

Read the comments to the article if you want to know what most know.

Message 20 of 35
latest reply