HOW to stop sellers from giving refunds you didnt ask for?

It seems many sellers are preferring to issue a refund instead of dealing with a late or damaged product issue.

-Instead of replacing a damaged item, they offer a partial refund.

-They send a Did you Receive Item message and issue a refund if you say not yet.

They often do so while one has already agreed to wait longer.

These actions of sellers affects the rating of the buyers and then we get WARNINGS from eBAY like below.

- A pattern of receiving both the item and a refund for that same item from a seller.

this would be the partial refunds for damaged goods.

- A pattern of filing excessive number of items not received claims.

late claims are always made based upon Seller's Delivery estimate. If claims are excessive, the fault is the Seller's estimates being unrealistic, not the buyer.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

"mjwl2006" is totally right. These estimates are made by eBay and NOT sellers.

As for the first part of your post... if a buyer chose the option "I did not receive this item" when contacting the seller, eBay automatically opens a case against him. The funds are held in PayPal too (or the seller's account get in the red if there is no funds there). So that is why sellers issue a refund or partial refund. Because if they don't after 5 days (or 7 can't remember) and loose the case, eBay gives a defect to the seller. After X defects (it varies from seller to seller because it depends on the number of sales), the seller account gets restriced, he looses it Top Rated status, pay more fees, etc.

Also, if a buyer says "no" to the question "Did this item arrived between x and x?", it gives another defect to the seller.

As for affecting the rating of buyers, I am not so sure about that. Of course, even if I often buy on eBay, I rarely open a case against a seller (so I rarely get refunds). And if I want to contact a seller, I always choose the option "I want to ask a question to the seller about this item" or something along that line (I don't exactly remember the exact words).

Hope this helps. 😉

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@rwil18433 wrote:

...... late claims are always made based upon Seller's Delivery estimate. If claims are excessive, the fault is the Seller's estimates being unrealistic, not the buyer.

I can't speak to the first part of your message because I have no experience with that as either a buyer or a seller but to this I can say that EBAY sets the delivery estimate, not the seller. It is often too short and is based on best-case scenarios given optimum postal conditions. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

"mjwl2006" is totally right. These estimates are made by eBay and NOT sellers.

As for the first part of your post... if a buyer chose the option "I did not receive this item" when contacting the seller, eBay automatically opens a case against him. The funds are held in PayPal too (or the seller's account get in the red if there is no funds there). So that is why sellers issue a refund or partial refund. Because if they don't after 5 days (or 7 can't remember) and loose the case, eBay gives a defect to the seller. After X defects (it varies from seller to seller because it depends on the number of sales), the seller account gets restriced, he looses it Top Rated status, pay more fees, etc.

Also, if a buyer says "no" to the question "Did this item arrived between x and x?", it gives another defect to the seller.

As for affecting the rating of buyers, I am not so sure about that. Of course, even if I often buy on eBay, I rarely open a case against a seller (so I rarely get refunds). And if I want to contact a seller, I always choose the option "I want to ask a question to the seller about this item" or something along that line (I don't exactly remember the exact words).

Hope this helps. 😉

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Also -- and you're not going to like hearing this -- your Feedback Left for Others will raise a red flag for many sellers.

You have left an unusually high number of neutrals or negatives and even your positive feedback comments are not very complimentary.

At some point, sellers will find reason to block you pro-actively as a potentially problematic purchaser and if enough sellers in the past have reported you for various offences (real or suspected) ebay will act on your account. It happens almost never for a buyer to be admonished by ebay or paypal so if you have reached that point, you may do well to ask yourself what has led to this fork in the road. 

It looks like you have a history of buying third-world products from third-world sellers but expecting first-world standards and first-class treatment. That is a recipe bound to end in unsatisfied disaster for both you and the sellers in question. You can have cheap or you can have fast but you cannot have both. Same goes for quality. 

Just a few thoughts for you to ponder if you chose to continue using ebay.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

No response has addressed the question.
One even suggests that a buyer should ignore problems and always give positive feedback because eBay will not admonish bad sellers.. I find that hard to believe.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Each one of these answers has given you the advice you need if you want to continue using ebay.

Whether you chose to take that advice is entirely up to you.

I'll repeat my message: ebay gives buyers a very long leash before it steps into moderate behaviour so if ebay is telling you that your actions are coming dangerously close to crossing the line, heed that warning. Or you will find yourself shopping elsewhere and it won't be by choice.

That is all.

Good luck as you go forward.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply