unauthorized use of bidder account

The second one was a "immediate" purchase but no payment was applied.  That is the case with this option,, right? payment is mandatory.  I got the email for the supposedly, authorized ebayer stating someone hacked into her account and made 11 attempts to buy/win auction goods.

Is this a common occurrence or just plain old weirdness?

PS - sorry, I posted in the wrong forum

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You can send any email purporting to be from eBay or Paypal to

spoof@ebay.com

spoof@paypal.com

They are pretty quick to let you know if the email is fake. If you regard 24 hours or less as pretty quick.

I think you are smart enough to check your Paypal account for payments before shipping.

There are a few quirks, like PP's Hold on cleared customer payments for 21 days as a Buyer Protection.

But you can use the Held money to buy PP shipping labels and some services are discounted from 5% to 17% off PO counter prices.

BTW-- That Ralph Lauren bag is upside down. You can go to Revise and correct that with the little circley arrow doohickey on the pictures section. Don't forget to accept the correction or it won't correct.

And every single word of your Terms of Sale regarding shipping are totally and completely unenforceable. As well as inaccurate.

Shipping is the hardest part of mail order, but if you have a (metric) digital scale and a tape measure, you can use Calculated Shipping to show your customer the exact cost of shipping to her doorstep.

Take your time and figure out how to use this.

Pro Tip-- if it is under 2cm thick and 500 grams you can use Flat Rate. You can also list on dot COM.

But if it need parcel service, stick to Calculated Shipping on dotCA.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

It is weirdness, that's not normal. 

Do you have your items sent to Immediate Payment Required, and your Seller Acount limiting the buyer preferences to requiring a paypal account? 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

You can send any email purporting to be from eBay or Paypal to

spoof@ebay.com

spoof@paypal.com

They are pretty quick to let you know if the email is fake. If you regard 24 hours or less as pretty quick.

I think you are smart enough to check your Paypal account for payments before shipping.

There are a few quirks, like PP's Hold on cleared customer payments for 21 days as a Buyer Protection.

But you can use the Held money to buy PP shipping labels and some services are discounted from 5% to 17% off PO counter prices.

BTW-- That Ralph Lauren bag is upside down. You can go to Revise and correct that with the little circley arrow doohickey on the pictures section. Don't forget to accept the correction or it won't correct.

And every single word of your Terms of Sale regarding shipping are totally and completely unenforceable. As well as inaccurate.

Shipping is the hardest part of mail order, but if you have a (metric) digital scale and a tape measure, you can use Calculated Shipping to show your customer the exact cost of shipping to her doorstep.

Take your time and figure out how to use this.

Pro Tip-- if it is under 2cm thick and 500 grams you can use Flat Rate. You can also list on dot COM.

But if it need parcel service, stick to Calculated Shipping on dotCA.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I had disagreement with the way Ebay charges FVF on shipping/handling. I do see how it pertains to the auction sale, a complete separate transaction that I end up, paying part of the cost it is not whether it is unenforceable, just a private agreement, and negotiable if the winner will not accept the terms, I cancel the order on their wishes. I have only currently capitulated to use fixed shipping based on past shipment rates in the US and Canada, and it was proving too cumbersome. Though, I did find canucks are more agreeable to this matter.

Yes, I have a scale.

calc shipping depends on the carrier I am using. Currently, I use UPS, pretty much infallible in delivery with succinct time tables. PLus, it has a promotion of 40% off. I cannot make that close approximation because, I do not consider EBay can do it because there no where to apply my CP/UPS account.

On paypal I made one attempt with CP shipping and it did not apply the discount for expedited, which is on promotion as the same cost for Regular. I tried using UPS but it proved too cryptic with tis error feedback that I just gave up. So I just use the carrier's website.

handbag: Oh, I thought fixed it. I will do next time.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

BTW - I have listed on .com but I could not change the currency to CAD. I ended up with an extra charge, conversion fee tacked on by Paypal
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I have listed on .com but I could not change the currency to CAD.

Since last year, eBay has removed the perk of choosing currency from eBayCanada.

On this site, we can only list in loonies.

We have never been able to list on dotCOM in any currency but USD.

On every national site, we can only list in the currency of that nation. On eBayGermany in euros, on eBay Hong Kong in HK dollars, on eBay UK in pounds.

When we use those sites, we have to do a rough conversion ourselves.

When I list on dotCOM, my usual price for books is $9.99USD. If the same book were on dotCA, the price would be $12.99Cdn. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I had disagreement with the way Ebay charges FVF on shipping/handling.
When you signed up to use this site, the fee on shipping was part of the agreement.
You don't get a choice.

I do see how it pertains to the auction sale, a complete separate transaction that I end up, paying part of the cost it is not whether it is unenforceable, just a private agreement,
There are two reasons eBay charges the fee.
One is historical, based on fee avoidance by sellers in the past, by moving the cost of the product (where fees were paid) to the cost of shipping (where fees were not).
The other is business. EBay copied Amazon's policy of charging on the whole amount the seller is paid without breaking it down.

and negotiable if the winner will not accept the terms,
Well, no, shipping is not negotiable.
The seller chooses the shipping service and from that gives the cost of shipping. The choice is based on acceptable security and speed of service.
The buyer can pay it or move on.
Some sales are not worth having.
If a customer wants cheaper (which usually means untraceable) shipping, the seller can assume that he plans to cheat and open an Item Not Received Dispute, which the seller will lose unless he can prove delivery.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply