CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN CANADA POST 'Force Majeure'?

An item I sent to a buyer via XPRESSPost was supposed to be guaranteed delivery tomorrow. Lo and behold, tonight I get an 'Exception Notification' for it from Canada Post stating there is a 'Force Majeure' on December 23, 2014 and that 'Canada Post is experiencing circumstances beyond our control causing a possible delay of the item. We are committed to delivering the item as soon as the situation is under control.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.'

Does this mean what I think it does?

And if so, should the buyer be enraged by the new delivery standard which is now Dec. 29 and leaves me negative feedback, does this mean I will be protected against the defect because this is 'Extreme weather conditions at this location; item delayed' which is a formal thing now that the post office has called it thus? (I hope so.) I have offered to refund the buyer their postage but I suspect this declaration means Canada Post is no longer honouring their 'guarantee' for it. Can anyone tell me otherwise?

Thanks.

M

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Well. you might be able to get the cost of shipping back. On Monday phone (do not email) the customer support ladies in New Brunswick and ask.

But basically, it's Canada, it's winter, and they can't deliver on their promise. Not won't. Can't.

At this point it is your job to soothe your customer. Get her phone number from eBay, call and explain the problem. Pre-empt any complaints by being the first to let her know there is a problem.

Try really really hard not to say, 'Poor planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part.' It won't go over well.

And the weather might clear up.

Or the customer might be Ukranian.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Well. you might be able to get the cost of shipping back. On Monday phone (do not email) the customer support ladies in New Brunswick and ask.

But basically, it's Canada, it's winter, and they can't deliver on their promise. Not won't. Can't.

At this point it is your job to soothe your customer. Get her phone number from eBay, call and explain the problem. Pre-empt any complaints by being the first to let her know there is a problem.

Try really really hard not to say, 'Poor planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part.' It won't go over well.

And the weather might clear up.

Or the customer might be Ukranian.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thank you, I did let the customer know as soon as I received that email from Canada Post but, as it turns out, the whole matter was a moot point because the item was delivered on the 24th as was originally promised by the XPRESSPOST standard.

So, my blood pressure spiked, the customer's blood pressure spiked, and nothing came of the 'force majeure' anyway. (Insert eye roll.)

Sometimes I have no idea what Canada Post is up to. Was there a real weather event in Toronto? I sent a parcel by UPS overnight to Toronto from my home in Winnipeg which was also Dec. 23 to 24 and it was delivered with nary a hiccup.
Message 3 of 3
latest reply