Canada Post - No Flat Rate Shipping Makes eBay HARD! RANT/QUESTION!

So, if you're a Canadian eBay seller, you know that Canada Post does NOT offer a flat-rate shipping method. This makes selling in Canada extremely frustrating. The rates aren't even reasonable. In the United States, USPS offers many flat-rate programs and encourages eCommerce, where as Canada Post discourages it. They wonder why they get no business...

"Canada Post - Delivering the online world."

Sure. 

These are their crackhead rates:

Within Canada shipping a light, average video game would cost about $9 CAD or $7.50 USD. To ship a video game to the United States, it would cost about $8.25 CAD or $6.50 USD. The real kicker is that it costs LESS to ship to a different country. 

CANADA POST, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!!?

So, my question is for all the Canadian sellers. I ship only to Canada & US. Shipping worldwide would be absolute chaos. How can I get a cheaper rate then what Canada Post is giving me? I usually send smaller stuff, like video games, CD's, movies, iPods, etc.

Many thanks! 🙂

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Stop shipping Expedited. It's simply not possible to do so with the sorts of things you are selling (i.e. media), and expect to make a profit. Your video games and CDs are less than 2 cm thick. Simply place them in a bubble mailer and send them off using Lettermail in Canada (get stamps from the post office), or Light Packet to the U.S. (print postage on PayPal).

I can ship the vast majority of video games within Canada for a flat rate of $3.10, and to the U.S. for a flat rate of $5.00 (taxes incl.).

Yes, there's no tracking and insurance, but you'll have to live with that. I've sent out hundreds of packages without tracking and have yet to have an issue. Unfortunately, it's just the cost of selling on eBay in Canada.

Answers (9)

Answers (9)

If your video game is under 500g, and less than 2cm thick (when packaged) use lettermail.

It's flat rate across Canada. Does not have insurance.

Current rates (using postage stamps, metered rates are cheaper)

to 100g .. 1.80
to 200g .. 2.95
to 300g .. 4.10
to 400g .. 4.70
to 500g .. 5.05

My understanding is that if you're a high volume shipper, you would qualify for flat rates (discounted through UPS and Fed EX with a business account). I've looked into it noting the minimum requirements to meet the threshold is high. I thought I shipped a fair number of parcels, however, still do not qualify....

I share the pain and anguish with respect to Canada Post.

I actually posted a question to Ebay with my views regarding the final value fee structure for Canadian sellers. As a  seller who relies on Canada Post, I feel disadvantaged and figured out that I pay more in final value fees due to higher listed shipping rates. Final value fees = final selling price + shipping charge......Canada Post shipping rates are upwards of 2-3 times higher than USPS. If I'm continually getting assessed final value fees based on the my posted shipping rates, it adds up over a year.....

Huh... no one noticed this is a zombie question from 2015?

@poxpower10

Ok, how do I pay 1.80 with stamps that are worth 1$ and have randomly changing values?

Arithmetic.

You could use three 60c stamps. Or a $1 stamp and two 40 cent stamps. Or a $1.69 stamp and a one cent stamp and a ten cent stamp.

Is there a way to print these?

No. Lettermail is not available online, although the PO clerk will print a postage label for you at the counter.

Personally, I find a selection of colourful stamps is faster (I can drop the packet in the nearest mailbox) and appreciated by my customers.

@easycanadianitems wrote:

So, if you're a Canadian eBay seller, you know that Canada Post does NOT offer a flat-rate shipping method. This makes selling in Canada extremely frustrating. The rates aren't even reasonable. In the United States, USPS offers many flat-rate programs and encourages eCommerce, where as Canada Post discourages it. They wonder why they get no business...

Canada Post does in fact offer a variety of  Domestic Flat Rate Boxes. In the recent past I've measured their smallest size box, they are suitable for large and heavy textbooks or similarily shaped items. If I recall correctly the small flat rate boxes are 14.99 with no fuel surcharge added to that, just applicable taxes. They are good Nationally at that price and the new box is supplied which adds value. The rate becomes more attractive if one is shipping somewhere outside of one's Regional rate area.

Probably not a good choice for DVDs and ipods though, Lettermail would work for Domestic customers for those.

@easycanadianitems 

If you know you are going to be able to use them and they are in your budget, with your CPC account you can buy prepaid envelops for express Canadian services. Better savings with larger volumes. You can also get some free, other paid for shipping supplies with your account. Link attached.

Better discounts happen and more available items happen once you have signed in to your account. For me an assortment of stamps bought in advance works but I try to avoid letter mail due to its unreliability.

https://www.canadapost.ca/shop/shop.jsf?LOCALE=en&icid=ln12003724

-Lotz

I use Letter for most of my books, DVDs, sewing patterns, CDs-- basically anything that is under 2cm thick.

LetterMail in Canada can be Registered for $9.50, but international registration is not useful. Go for one of the tracked services, because Registration isn't.

I am not sure if eBay recognizes domestic Registration as tracking. I think not.

I have found the only place in Victoria that sells Flat Rate Boxes. (Main Office on Yates). A parcel that would have cost me $22+ to mail in my own packaging was $14.99 plus tax with the box.

But these are hard to find. And there is no Small Business Solutions discount, nor can you buy them with stamps.

Any seller who sees these should buy them all if you can afford the investment.

marnotom!
Community Member

@easycanadianitems wrote:

"Canada Post - Delivering the online world."

Sure. 

These are their crackhead rates:

Within Canada shipping a light, average video game would cost about $9 CAD or $7.50 USD. To ship a video game to the United States, it would cost about $8.25 CAD or $6.50 USD. The real kicker is that it costs LESS to ship to a different country. 

CANADA POST, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!!?

What mailing services are you comparing?  I don't think this is an apples to apples comparison.

I agree that Canada Post should be doing a lot more to support smaller scale online retailers it is worth pointing out that USPS lost $4 Billion in 2018, whereas Canada Post has to be self-sustaining.

Ian

Ask a Question
Top Helpful Posts