Cheapest shipping rate from Canada WITH INSURANCE $ TRACKING?

machma4
Community Member

Hi,

The rates from Canada Post are really ridiculous!!!

I would love to sell a few old coins, but it seems that I can't get a reasonable shipping quote for international buyers.

Seriously? Who wants to pay CAD48.00 for shipping?? That's what I'd have to charge in case I'd like to include at least CAD100.00 insurance plus tracking#.

Is there any other way for Canadian sellers to ship insured, maybe 3rd party insurance? Through PayPal or ebay shipping labels?

Any advice would be sooo much appreciated!!

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Third party insurance is always possible.

We use Hugh Wood International. They are a British firm with offices in Toronto, and specialize in insuring collectibles.

They do annual contracts. Ask for Gina.

If you are a collector who is selling a little on the side, you may want to look at them for your collection.

If you are a part-time or full-time dealer they will cover your stock, your shop, your flea market booth, your show booth, travel to shows, and shipped items.

They are the insurers for the American Philatelic Society. Including their circuit books, so they really understand collecting and collectors.

If you only need one-off insurance, many posters here have used shipinsurance and seem quite happy with them.

However, look at the profit margins on anything you plan to sell. Insurance may not be worthwhile compared to the actual chances of loss.

You may be better off taking your chances, after putting in place some of the more sensible Blocks available to you, such as bidders with Unpaid Item Strikes, bidders with violations, certain countries or continents, bidders without Paypal accounts*, as well as reading the bidder's Feedback for Others, which sometimes gives a  clue about malfeasance.

You can also self-insure, which means adding a small amount, usually under a quarter, to every shipping charge and using the accumulated quarters (kept in a virtual Cookie Jar) to cover any claims before they go to Dispute.  This is more feasible with some categories than others. My stamps, dress patterns, and books rarely have problems. Coins? Video Games? Horse Tack? Reborn dolls?  Tricky.

*Because that tends to Block new members, although personally I don't see them as a problem.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Third party insurance is always possible.

We use Hugh Wood International. They are a British firm with offices in Toronto, and specialize in insuring collectibles.

They do annual contracts. Ask for Gina.

If you are a collector who is selling a little on the side, you may want to look at them for your collection.

If you are a part-time or full-time dealer they will cover your stock, your shop, your flea market booth, your show booth, travel to shows, and shipped items.

They are the insurers for the American Philatelic Society. Including their circuit books, so they really understand collecting and collectors.

If you only need one-off insurance, many posters here have used shipinsurance and seem quite happy with them.

However, look at the profit margins on anything you plan to sell. Insurance may not be worthwhile compared to the actual chances of loss.

You may be better off taking your chances, after putting in place some of the more sensible Blocks available to you, such as bidders with Unpaid Item Strikes, bidders with violations, certain countries or continents, bidders without Paypal accounts*, as well as reading the bidder's Feedback for Others, which sometimes gives a  clue about malfeasance.

You can also self-insure, which means adding a small amount, usually under a quarter, to every shipping charge and using the accumulated quarters (kept in a virtual Cookie Jar) to cover any claims before they go to Dispute.  This is more feasible with some categories than others. My stamps, dress patterns, and books rarely have problems. Coins? Video Games? Horse Tack? Reborn dolls?  Tricky.

*Because that tends to Block new members, although personally I don't see them as a problem.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply