Why is it, that shipping charges to Canada are $30.00(US) more than US shipping?

I live less than 50 Miles from the Canada US border and can have items shipped to  US address, BUT charging $30.00 in US Dollars , more to ship to a Canadian address is, in my opinion, Highway Robbery. Besides, I have to deal with Taxes and Duty after the item is delivered. If using FedEx for example, we pay a FedEx administration fee on top of that. SO Canadian buyers, beware. Our dollar is worth less, AND costs are now multiplied by these HUGE fees. Personally, I will not buy items from the USA for this reason. Will purchase from China instead, since they do not punish us for purchasing from them.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Why is it, that shipping charges to Canada are $30.00(US) more than US shipping?

Delivery Confirmation (tracking) is very cheap through USPS for domestic addresses, less than a quarter for online shipping labels.

To international addresses it is much much higher, starting around $25. (First Class International service)

If the seller is using the Global Shipping Program instead of shipping directly, all applicable Canadian duty and sales taxes included in the 'import fees" along with a smallish ($5 or so) service charge before the seller even ships to the GPS plant for trans-shipment to Canada.

If you have a US address, use it. Then you can drive over the border and pay the duty and sales tax as you drive back.

Will purchase from China instead, since they do not punish us for purchasing from them.

It's not China or the USA .

Canada puts duty on most items that are new and not manufactured in a Free Trade ally like the USA, if the value is over $20.

Most imports valued over $20 are subject to sales taxes (5% to 17% depending on province) new or used, no matter where manufactured.

BUT

The public servants at CBSA and Canada Post realized that it costs the Canadian taxpayer more to process low value items (under $100 or so) than they would be collecting, so in a rush of common sense, they just wave such items through.(Usually)

If you are ordering $2 or $20 items from China, you won't be charged anything at the border. (Probably)

But if you order something for $200 or $2000 from China, the postie will be wanting to be paid on your doorstep.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply