Do I have to provide tracking, receipt received, and registered mail

viiich
Community Member

As a seller and with the now exorbitant shipping cost associated with providing tracking, receipt received, and registered mail especially when it comes to those selling item items the realize a lower price (under $50.00?) This question keep coming up due to the fact if a buyer does not receive the item he paid for, eBay holds the seller accountable and debit his PayPal account when the buyer claims the item he purchased was lost in the mail. Can I offer the selling a lower postage if non tracking receipt received, and registered mail is not used and if so if the item go missing in the mail will the seller still be held accountable for the lost 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

You will always be accountable. If no tracking, or proof of receipt, you will be out of pocket. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Arithmetic is your friend here.

Given that most people are honest, is the cost of the few claims you have had greater or lesser than the cost of all that tracking?

Given your demographic (I'd guess older and male) what are the chances that untracked parcels would result in a huge increase in phoney claims?

What are the chances that a delayed parcel resulting in a refund, would have the refund returned when the parcel showed up?

I sell books, stamps, and dress patterns. My customers tend to read and to follow directions. Most are also pretty patient. And I rarely use a tracked service nor do I have problems.

If I were selling videogames or used cellphones (or horse tack - you'd be amazed!) I would either be tracking everything or trying to buy so cheaply that the shoptheft (which is what phoney claims are) is just an occasional business expense.

And of course, some services are automatically tracked. If your items are over 2cm thick or 500 grams, you move from LetterPost/Light Packet into domestic Regular Parcel which is tracked. And only Small Packet (USA or international) is not for your non-Canada customers.

If you don't do shows yourself, ask the dealers at medal and coin shows about shoptheft. If it is rife, keep tracking. If it is uncommon, you can save yourself and your customers money.

And ask more than one dealer. There's always That Guy. You know the one.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Yes, the seller will always be held accountable. You have to be willing to take the loss, otherwise insure and/or track.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply