How do I report a seller for asking me to do something illegal?

I had a dealing with a seller over the weekend, regarding a product that was sent at the size paid for, but is a very small make. I'm assuming that this Canadian seller is listing the item at the size on the tags, and they are made in China. Most people are aware that a lot of things made in China are actually smaller than the size states. For example, a mans Medium here, would be considered XL in China. An Extra Large here, is considered 3XL in China, if they even make that size.

Anyway, the seller was a little rude about the size issue, claiming that no one else has complained etc. That is all fine. I am just upset that the item was too small. I suggested the seller put the measurements up, but they were by then too upset with me about me wanting to return the item. The seller then suggested that I reuse the postage from the envelope, and send the item back. As many of you are aware, and this seller certainly should be aware, that is illegal. You cannot return an item to sender once it has been opened, and you are legally not allowed to reuse postage, even if it was not stamped from the post office.

Anyway, how do I report this seller for encouraging illegal activity?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

The most direct method is to call ebay. Customer Service will give you the advice you need. Assuming, however, that the (alleged) instructions to commit fraud were given through ebay 'messages', you can always report it from the offending message at the bottom of the page. But when you file an online report, you don't gain the satisfaction of knowing how it is dealt with, so, if it were me and I was truly affronted, I'd place a call about it. That way you have the assurance a real person has at least heard your complaint. Good luck. I hope you can resolve it. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

First off YES you can return an item to a seller if it does not meet the listing description and details but it may be at your expense if it is stated in the listing. Second, it's common sense you cannot return an item using the same postage it was mailed with to your address.

Simply go to PayPal and open an item not as described case and have PayPal take care of it from there. Also leave the seller NEGATIVE feedback immediately. 

If you want to report the seller, go to http://ocsnext.ebay.ca/ocs/home? and take it from there.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

As many of you are aware, and this seller certainly should be aware, that is illegal. You cannot return an item to sender once it has been opened, and you are legally not allowed to reuse postage, even if it was not stamped from the post office.

Of course you can return an item to the sender after opening. You do have to pay again for the postage.

If the parcel were unopened and refused, the PO will return it to the sender and (theoretically) charge him for the return shipping. Not all posties will bother of course.

But you are quite right about the postage. A stamp is a receipt for a service that has not yet been performed. When the stamp is cancelled, the job has been done and the stamp is just a piece of paper.

I'd think your most useful actions would be calm and factual feedback and Detailed Seller Ratings that reflect the poor description and worse service. The lowest Rating is ONE Star. No stars is a free pass.

DSRs are much more important than feedback. If a seller's DSRs drop below 4.3 his fees may rise and his ability to list and sell on eBay are restricted. In addition, he may not be able to collect customer payments for up to 21 days after clearance.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

If you return the item, use a Delivery Confirmed service like Regular Parcel. This will be important if he does not refund promptly and you need to prove that it is back in his hands.

Be prepared to open an Item Not As Described dispute.

Do not leave feedback and DSRs until the Dispute is settled. Nothing gets a seller more annoyed than negative feedback.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply