First time shipping to US. What do I do and what do I pay?

How much would it cost me to send a $200 item from Canada which is about three pounds heavy and 18"x10"x3" box?

Do I have to pay some import fees or duty fees?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s2

Now. Forget imperial measurements.

Canada Post went metric in 1974 and any other system you use will be inaccurate.

Since rates can change on a centimetre or a gram, this is important.

And no.

You are the exporter.

Your buyer is the importer and pays whatever tax or duty or service fee is applicable.

At one time eBay supplied this bit of boilerplate that could be added to seller's listings.

Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer's responsibility.
Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

@veirtimid wrote:
How much would it cost me to send a $200 item from Canada which is about three pounds heavy and 18"x10"x3" box?

Canada Post has a parcel shipping calculator on their website.

If you buy your shipping through paypal (with discounts for some of the Canada Post services), you can enter the details to get a cost (just do NOT go to the next step of buying the postage).

You can also set up calculated shipping (on .ca) for your listing and let eBay calculate the cost based on where the buyer lives.

Ask a Question
Top Helpful Posts