How does Insurance work?

I've bought a couple things from eBay but I have to pay to Pitney Bowes for insurance. Sometimes I don't see it as a big deal and wish to opt out of the insurance. Is there anyway to do this?

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

How does Insurance work?

I think you are talking about the Global Shipping Program which is run by Pitney Bowes for eBay.

It is a sort of insurance program, but it only insures Sellers.

And no, as a buyer you can't opt out of it.

You can ask the seller to set up a special private listing for you that uses USPS shipping and your name as the title (that's what keeps it private).

But unless the value of the item is pretty high, the seller may not feel it is worth her time and effort.

And those high value items are the ones that do get stopped at the border* and you get charged the same duty and  Sales Taxes that you are charged by the GSP plus a $9.95 service fee by Canada Post that is actually higher than the GSP service fee of $5.

You are 'insured' by both eBay and Paypal against loss or damage in transit and against receiving items that are Not As Described.

*Canadians have a duty free allowance of $20CDN (~$16USD). Any import over that can be charged duty and Sales Taxes. Usually mostly sales taxes.

BUT- the CBSA employees sensibly (if illegally) decided it makes no sense to assess items for this when the  cost of the assessment is higher than could possibly be collected.  Once you hit around the $100 mark, the import fees are worth collecting.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply