How to be sure to charge "Actual Shipping Cost" and not estimated amount?

I'm a first time seller on Ebay.ca, and after listing my item with the dimensions taken at Canada Post, the shipping cost listed is much less than I was quoted at the post office. I just want to ensure that I don't end up having to eating the shipping costs by accident. 

After bidding ends, can I get the buyer's actual address and change the amount they owe for shipping? 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BTW, 'actual shipping cost' is not just the postage on the envelope.

It should include the envelope, bubblewrap and other packaging.

It should include the taxes and the fuel surcharge you paid to Canada Post.

It should include the Final Value Fee on shipping charged by eBay.

It should include insurance charges, including self-insuring or Cookie Jar Insurance premiums.

None of these will show up as postage, so if you use Paypal shipping labels go for 'stealth shipping' which is just printing the label with no postage cost showing.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Yes,you will have the buyer's address.

But changing the advertised amount for shipping is tricky.

If your fee is too low, you have to stick with it. You cannot raise it.

If your fee is too high, you can use the Send Money service of Paypal to send your buyer a small refund. As I understand it, if you use the simpler more straightforward Refund link on the original invoice you will get a Defect on your seller account. I am willing to be corrected on this.

However, to reduce your labour and increase your accuracy you need a tape measure and a digital scale. Try Canadian Tire. I use a Starfrit kitchen scale since my items rarely are over 5 kilos.

Which brings up the other point. Use METRIC measurements. Canada Post went metric in 1974 and any others will be an approximation. Since a millimeter difference can move you from one rate to another, this is very important.

The Options link on the Sell Your Item form at the Shipping section allows you to change systems.

Use LetterPost as much as possible, along with its sister service Light Packet. These carry goods up to 2cm thick and 500 grams in weight. They are not trackable or insurable but are fast cheap and reliable. Don't use these for expensive goods.

There will be a rate change sometime next week for parcels. Ask the counter staff at your PO for the new rate card.

Or use Calculated Shipping. That will automatically change when the new rates come in.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

BTW, 'actual shipping cost' is not just the postage on the envelope.

It should include the envelope, bubblewrap and other packaging.

It should include the taxes and the fuel surcharge you paid to Canada Post.

It should include the Final Value Fee on shipping charged by eBay.

It should include insurance charges, including self-insuring or Cookie Jar Insurance premiums.

None of these will show up as postage, so if you use Paypal shipping labels go for 'stealth shipping' which is just printing the label with no postage cost showing.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

thanks for your replies - my sale ended last night. my partner did all the shipping label stuff while i was at work.. he's not as OCD as I am. If by chance, it costs more to ship, is it possible to ask the buyer for the extra amount before sending? I had wanted to get the final cost before he paid, but he ended up paying last night. It''s an accordion, so it's not just the matter of an extra buck or two. I'll post the result incase anyone cares.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

If by chance, it costs more to ship, is it possible to ask the buyer for the extra amount before sending?

NO!

Well, you can ask, but the buyer has the right to refuse.

He bought at the advertised price and that is the most you can charge him.

Also you may enjoy this.

http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Ankh-Morpork_Recovering_Accordian_Players_Society

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

You cannot.Ebay takes a ten percent commission off shipping.YES THEY DO!!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply