How to ship oversized / large parcel to USA at a reasonable rate

Hello, you guys helped me before so I'm back :).

I have another chandelier that I want to sell and that would likely end up in the USA.  The dimensions exceed what Canada Post will deliver via Expedited to the USA, they would ship it (priority post I think) for $700 - it's worth $500 :(.    Shipping within Canada is not an issue.

I'm trying to figure out how to get it to the USA (from the Ottawa, Ontario area) at a reasonable cost or if I should just forget about selling it.  It appears Purolator would take it for $200 but I'm not sure if there are hidden costs to the buyer upon delivery (ie: brokerage fees).  I checked a few others on-line and it was almost as expensive as Canada Post.  My buyers would expect duty charges, but nothing else and I don't want any surprises.

What company(ies) do you folks use to delivery your oversized parcels?  Thanks!  

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rather than a courier like UPS or  Purolator, look into freight companies.

We have moved large estate lots for $1 a pound across Canada.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@jnicholss wrote:

I have another chandelier that I want to sell and that would likely end up in the USA.  The dimensions exceed what Canada Post will deliver via Expedited to the USA, they would ship it (priority post I think) for $700 - it's worth $500 :(.    Shipping within Canada is not an issue.

I'm trying to figure out how to get it to the USA (from the Ottawa, Ontario area) at a reasonable cost or if I should just forget about selling it.  It appears Purolator would take it for $200 but I'm not sure if there are hidden costs to the buyer upon delivery (ie: brokerage fees).  I checked a few others on-line and it was almost as expensive as Canada Post.  My buyers would expect duty charges, but nothing else and I don't want any surprises.

No recommendation for shipping (that size being well above my shipping limit), but you should be aware that the USA duty exemption limit is now $800us, having been increased from $200us earlier this year.

-..-

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Rather than a courier like UPS or  Purolator, look into freight companies.

We have moved large estate lots for $1 a pound across Canada.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thanks, I'll look into that. I since found that UPS is fairly reasonable and they assure me that there won't be any additional costs to the buyer at delivery but I guess I'll need to use them 1 time to feel more confident with the process ;).
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks ypdc_dennis - would you happen to have a link re: the $800US limit? It would be a great thing to refer potential buyers to, I will go searching if you don't have it off-hand. Much appreciate the info.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thanks, I'll look into that. I since found that UPS is fairly reasonable and they assure me that there won't be any additional costs to the buyer at delivery but I guess I'll need to use them 1 time to feel more confident with the process Smiley Wink.

Remember that your value for export is the selling price, not what it is"worth".

Americans can import up to $800USD duty free, so you should be fine on that score.

The reason Canadians are so down on couriers is that they have to assess and charge Canadian duty and Sale Taxes on imports. That's the law.

And our duty-free limit is a paltry $20 CDN ($16USD).

CBSA and Canada Post take the sensible route, and ignore small parcels worth less that $100 or so, on the basis that it costs more to process them than could be collected.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply