Is it better to offer a flat rate shipping cost rather than by location?

I am new to selling on Ebay and having some difficulty working out what kind of shipping I should offer. How do  I know if my item will be subject to customs fees etc? 

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

@samsaman_kcn5hw wrote:

I am new to selling on Ebay and having some difficulty working out what kind of shipping I should offer. How do  I know if my item will be subject to customs fees etc? 

You've signed up for Canada Post's free Solutions for Small Business membership?

And plan to buy your shipping online? 

Inside Canada -- Expedited parcel (includes $100 insurance, delivery time guarantee or shipping refunded). eBay has a small discount (via Shippo) versus shipping bought directly from the Canad Post website or through PayPal. Calculated shipping recommended.

To USA - Small Packet USA (up to 1kg, flat rate) or Tracked Packet USA (up to 1kg, includes $100 insurance, tracked). Over 1kg then Expedited Parcel USA (tracked, includes $100 insurance, with more available, recommend calculated). All 3 services have eBay discounts via Shippo.

Customs exemption for personal purchases is $800 for the USA.

International - Small Packet Air (up to 2kg), has eBay discounts if purchased through Shippo. Never ship via surface -- while inexpensive, it takes too long.

Customs exemption limits for buyers vary from country to country -- which is something your buyers should know. Your buyer is responsible for paying duty and VAT.

-..-

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Play with the dimensions and weights.

If you are shipping something that can be sent LetterPost/LightPacket, Flat Rate Shipping is fine*.

In fact, you could even take a deep breath and make those items Free Shipping.

DON'T PANIC copy.jpeg

Free Shipping just means adding the cost of shipping and packaging to your asking price.

Buyers, especially the 52% using mobiles, love it.

If your item must go Package Rates, stay on dotCA and use Calculated Shipping.

Package rates are based not only on weight and dimensions but on distance.

Here are two or three postal codes: K1A 0A6, V8R 5G8, A1C 5S7.

Here are a couple of zipcodes: 90210 , 37188, 32830.

Notice how the Canadian rate can double from coast to coast? The US one is more stable.

Use METRIC measurements. Canada Post went metric in 1974, and all other systems are guesswork.

Do NOT consider selling internationally until you have at least 10 DSRs and know what DSRs are.

You don't have to know anything about the import fees for other countries. That is the buyer's responsibility.

At one point eBay was encouraging sellers to add this boilerplate to their listings for international customers.

Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying.

*You may also want to list those items on dotCOM rather than here, but that is a different discussion.

Ask a Question