BOGUS TRACKING NUMBER

kiddroc
Community Member
I ordered an item from ohio,usa....i live in quebec,canada.....14hres away....all i got to go on is a BOGUS tracking number UPAAB XXXXXXXXXXXXXX which doesn't check out with any shipping company AND "multiple carriers"....?????? How can i figure out if this is a SCAM or not ???
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

BOGUS TRACKING NUMBER

Did you by chance pay for an item from ebay.com where the seller used the Global Shipping Program? Are there Import fees paid to Pitney Bowes on your account? It's probably a valid carrier number but is probably only showing travel to the GSP hub in Kentucky. It will there be validated and sent to Canada, to you.

On the other hand, when did you place your order? If it was 29 days ago, go to the ebay Resolution Centre and open and Item Not Received case. If it was 45 days ago, go to paypal and do the same. Don't accept offers from the seller to replace if the item is coming from overseas, it won't likely arrive in time.

And the 14 hours away part is irrelevant with international mail. Everything coming into Canada (or leaving it) goes through the same maybe three depots. I could drive across the border myself in less than two hours from where I live but if someone mails an item to me from there, it will take ten days because it has to go to Mississauga first for Customs Clearance.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

BOGUS TRACKING NUMBER

@kiddroc wrote:
I ordered an item from ohio,usa....i live in quebec,canada.....14hres away....all i got to go on is a BOGUS tracking number UPAAB XXXXXXXXXXXXXX which doesn't check out with any shipping company AND "multiple carriers"....?????? How can i figure out if this is a SCAM or not ???

Sounds like you have an item being shipped via ebay's Global Shipping Program (GSP).

So Ohio to Kentucky to Canada to you.

The ebay shipping link associated with your order should (eventually) update to add a real carrier with a real tracking number -- but more often than not, after your purchase has arrived.

If you google "UPAAB" you can find multiple hits regarding this.

For example: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=115913

Time limits (for claims of non-delivery):

eBay - up to 30 days to file a claim after the last estimated arrival date

paypal - up to 180 days after the purchase date to file a claim

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

BOGUS TRACKING NUMBER

All tracking is a 'scan' for the buyer.

You pay for it.

It protects the seller.

If an unhappy or crooked buyer claims a purchase has not been delivered, the seller can show that it has by supplying the tracking *number.

Same with insurance: it protects the seller who bought it not the buyer.

Tracking does not move the item faster.

Tracking does not protect the package from damage.

If your item has not arrived in 20 days (from North America. 15 days from Europe and 30 days from Asia) go to the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page and open an Item Not Received Dispute. Say that the purchase was shipped through the Global Shipping Program. If the GSP cannot show it has been received, and the GSP does have tracking, it's just not particularly public, then the buyer loses the case and her money.

If the purchase arrives. and you are not home, a Delivery Notice will be left, telling you where and when it can be picked up and what ID you need to claim it.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply