Printing Shipping Label To US & Filling Out Customs Form

I thought I would try printing a shipping label to the US for the first time.  I am sending my item Expedited Parcel with insurance & tracking number.  It is a piece of jewelry worth about $200.00.  First of all it wouldn't accept some of my measurements.  I had to make the sizes a little larger.  Then when I went to fill out the Customs form it asked for things I don't know.  Such as HS Code - Reference Number - Duty & Tax - Tax ID/IRS Number. Got frustrated so ended up filling out the form I get from the post office by hand. Can anyone explain how to fill out these custom forms?

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Printing Shipping Label To US & Filling Out Customs Form

Well here are the HS codes.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/wtz/business/findHsCode?execution=e1s1

Use metric measurements. Canada Post went metric in 1974.

And increasing the size of the package is normal. Small packages are easily lost in the hurlyburly of a postal terminal. Even just putting your tiny secure box is a larger poly envelope helps a lot.

The reference number and the duty and tax have nothing to do with the exporter (you). Those are for the customs people on the other end. Your buyer won't be paying any since US importers have a duty free allowance of $800.

BTW, don't be too exact about the form of the jewelry. 'Costume jewelry' is fine. You can change the prefilled description, which uses the title of your listing quite easily.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply