Shipping Yu Gi Oh Cards from Canada (Toronto)

I'm looking for the cheapest way to ship singles. Originally I wanted to ship internationally but it doesn't look like that's going to be affordable for the buyer(s).

I'd like to ship within Canada and to the US at the very least, but I'm trying to figure out how much that'll cost. I've looked around and I see that a lot of people are claiming that its around $2 in the US to send out a card in a padded envelope, and if the cost is anywhere near that here I'd like to do the same and to be pointed in the same direction. (I already have the padded envelopes, top loaders, and am aware of how to ship cards)

I'm primarily planning to use Canada Post because I've used them in the past, but I live in Toronto so there are alternatives if they are cheaper.

Realistically, to ship a single card, within Canada or to the US, how much would the buyer have to pay for shipping? Obviously I'd like to keep the cost as low as possible because there are tons of alternatives out there for card trading.

Also, I haven't sold more than a handful of items on ebay as of yet, so I don't think I have any of those seller discounts if they exist. I am also aware of printing shipping labels through paypal, but again, I'd like to keep the cost to the buyer as low as possible.

The cards I will be selling are worth from $1 each to $100 each. Any information on going about this in the right way would be greatly appreciated because I'm new to all of this and don't want to eat the shipping cost on something at the counter.

ALSO, do I really need one of those scales? I can't imagine a card + a padded envelope weighing too much.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I can't imagine a card + a padded envelope weighing too much.

Can you tell, without a scale, the difference between 25 grams and 35 grams? *

people are claiming that its around $2 in the US to send out a card in a padded envelope,

Probably about right. There is a cost for the envelope, the toploader, printer and invoices, and your time (18 cents a minute in Ontario). Leave those out and you will lose money.

Canada Post Letter Mail will be the cheapest shipping method. $0.85 cents if you buy booklets of stamps** for the first 30 grams $1.20 from 31-50gr.

But it does not offer tracking or Confirmation of Delivery.

You will have to decide your own comfort level with possible false claims of non-delivery.

If you believe you always need tracking, you may find that Registered Mail ($9 +regular postage) is cheapest domestically.

The buyer is required to sign for Registered Mail, but there is some disagreement whether Registration is allowed by eBay and Paypal as a recognized 'electronically visible" confirmation of delivery.

All the other rates are more expensive by several dollars.

Now.

How many low value cards can you lose, along with the payment, before you feel you must track every item?

I would suggest Cookie Jar Insurance.

Add a few pennies to every asking or shipping price as a self-insurance premium. Put the pennies in a virtual Cookie Jar. When you get a claim, you refund from the jar. No questions. No eBay or PP involvement.

Go to your PO and ask for the January 2016 Rates brochure.

The rates are also at

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

You can buy a Starfrit kitchen scale with will weigh up to 5 kilos at Canadian Tire for $20 or less. You also need a measuring tape or a ruler.  Shipping rates are dimensional.

And use metric. Canada Post went metric in 1974 and every other system is guesswork.

*It's 35 cents btw. The rate change is between 30 g and 31 g.

** You can also buy discounted, mint, never used stamps on eBay. *cough*

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

but it doesn't look like that's going to be affordable for the buyer(s).

Probably not for your common cards. But for rare /expensive cards, the serious buyer will pay. In any field

Message 3 of 3
latest reply