Shipping from Canada to USA and Worldwide

Hello,

I am new to eBay and I'm trying to find info on how to ship from Canada to USA and Worldwide.

When I'm listing an item, under "How you'll ship it" there is "Shipping options" and then "International shipping".  I am doing both as "Actual cost". 

Under "Shipping options" I have a drop down to select which domestic shipping service I want, and then there is a check box titled "Offer another shipping service".  This only allows me to choose another domestic service. 

Under "International shipping" I only have the drop down choice of "Worldwide" or "United States".  There is no option to add another service like the first domestic shipping section.  I want to offer both Worldwide AND United States shipping services. 

I thought that the US might be included in Worldwide when I choose that option but I don't think it is because when I go to my published listing and try calculating the shipping cost for the US with a postal code, it always gives me the message "Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid Postal Code.  I'm pretty sure I'm not getting the postal codes wrong.

I've been trying to find the answer, but no success so far.  I found this question that is 2 years old and similar to mine but it is unresolved and the listing formatting seems to have changed judging by the answers.  http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Packaging-Shipping/How-can-I-set-3-shipping-costs-Canada-USA-and-outside...

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Assuming that you are listing on eBay,CA then use the Advanced Selling Form which allows up to 5 shipping choices for USA and the rest of the world.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Canada-Post-Shipping-Options-on-eBay-ca-for-USA-and/m-p/3...

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

As a new seller, it would be sensible to ship only to Canada and the USA until you have enough experience that your Detailed Seller Ratings appear or until your customers' payments are no longer subject to the Paypal Hold.

Shipping is the hardest part of selling-- even harder than finding customers-- and has a steep learning curve.

Do you own a metric digital scale for example?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

You have only been an eBay member for 2 weeks.  May I suggest that you do some more shopping and build up your feedback, as well as get more experience as a buyer?  It will help to decrease the number of scammers who may prey on you, and give you some appreciation of what buyers want in the way of service.

Is there a reason you have chosen the auction format?  Most shoppers on eBay buy fixed price listings, and don't want to wait a week when they see something they would like to have. 

As ypdc_dennis says, you need to use the advanced listing form to set separate shipping for USA and International.  I had a look at two of your listings, and notice that you are stating standard shipping (regular parcel) to Canada, and Small Packet Air to the rest of the world.  It looks as though you are using 300 grams as the shipping weight.  A magazine up to 2 cm thick would fit the size and weight limits for Light Packet USA at $8.23 and Light Packet International at $13.46.  It may also go Oversize Lettermail within Canada for $4.10.  A big advantage to Light Packet is that the International pricing is the same worldwide, unlike Small Packet which varies by country as well as weight and dimensions.

As femmefan1946 says, shipping is the hardest part of selling on eBay.  You have set up International shipping for the entire world.  There are a lot of countries that I would recommend you not ship to until you have more experience.  I think you will find that USA will make up the majority of interested shoppers, with smaller numbers from Canada and perhaps EU countries, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan.  These countries all have modern postal systems, and lots of people with disposable incomes.  Make sure you read the Canada Post information about restrictions - for example in South Korea, which also has an excellent postal service, there is a restriction of 3 magazines per person and per issue.  So if someone bid on 4 and won, the package could be seized and you could have an Item Not Received claim.  When you set up International shipping, you need to select where to ship and also to set up shipping restrictions - explicitly block those countries you won't ship to.

Also, as femmefan has advised so many times on these boards, what is cheaper - a $4 item with $17 shipping, or a $17 item with $4 shipping, or a $21 item with free shipping?  it might give you an advantage to add some or all of the shipping cost to the item price, or to offer free shipping (cost added to item price) to Canada (you are then not charged final value fees on shipping to other countries), and deduct that cost from the shipping charges everywhere else.

Lots to learn - good luck!  

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks heaps for everyone's comments. I do realize of course I have loads to learn and I'm keen to get the hang of it by trying things out and doing research.

Your advice is a great help, maggiebvintage2010, thanks. Where did you come up with those shipping costs for Light Packets? Does the Light Packet service come with tracking numbers? I've been looking at Small Packets and Tracked Packets but I can't find info on Light except here https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/announcements/details.page?article=2013/12/17/changes_to_ligh...

I tried out the eBay Shipping Calculator but it gives very little info and options.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

It is worth the time to look around the CP site and familiarize yourself with shipping services, zones, etc. etc.  Here are some links to a few Canada Post pages:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

https://www.canadapost.ca/common/tools/pg/manual/PGpsus_int-e.asp

CP used to have a fanfold handout, but have not printed it for a few years.  My little Post Office will make me copies of their rate pages, but you can make your own and keep it close to hand.  When I started selling, I spent a lot of time roaming around the Canada Post site, packing up, weighing and measuring various things, and using the first link to find rates.  I still keep that link on my bookmark toolbar.

Don't get hung up on tracking or delivery confirmation or insurance - they have their place, with high value goods.  They are quite expensive through CP for destinations outside Canada, and 99.5% of mail going to and coming from countries with good systems and low rates of corruption gets delivered.  Add a few cents to each listing price as self-insurance, and set that aside for the few times you will need to refund for an item not received.  There are a few scammers of course, but you will quickly learn if your categories tend to attract them and can adjust accordingly.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply