Shipping

geor_tone
Community Member

I am new to selling on eBay and wondered how does eBay know what quote me for shipping? Do the prices for shipping that are given from eBay match what I am going to pay when I get the us post office?

Thank you

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Shipping

EBay and Paypal have a deal with Canada Post (and USPS and practically every other postal system in countries where they have sites).

So when a seller sets the fee for shipping and handling (or postage and packaging as it is called in the UK), she is tapping into that deal.

The seller may decide to offer Flat Rate Shipping. With this the seller looks at Canada Post's rate card and works out the dimensions and weight of her item, the cost of packing it, the service she wants to use, whether she wants tracking , whether she will insure, and the destination.

Then she puts that price into the appropriate box on the Sell Your Item form, and that price is what you see.

Or she can decide to use Calculated Shipping. She puts the weight and dimensions into the form, chooses the appropriate service, and the computer takes your postal code compares it to the seller's decisions and tells you the cost.

Two things to take away.

It is the seller, not eBay, who decides on the shipping.

The cost of shipping is based on the dimensions and weight of the item, not on its value.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply