UPS "hidden" brokerage charges rip-off

eddybaby66
Community Member

how can UPS (an Ebay preferred courier partner) NOT disclose at the time that a buyer accepts a certain shipping option what  the level of brokerage fees that will be levied?

(I paid @ $27 to ship, and was hit for @ $70 in brokerage fees when the goods arrived!!) those fees are known in advance, and buyers should be made fully aware of the TOTAL cost of shipping goods, not just one small element of the price.

I have since found out that UPS is well known for pulling this scam, so I am disgusted the Ebay would condone and endorse this underhand, deceptive practice.

This undermines my faith in Ebay to be "honest brokers" and will mean I think twice before using Ebay again.

How many others have also been ripped of like this?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

There has been an ongoing discussion thread on this subject since 2006.

http://community.ebay.ca/topic/Buyer-Central/Canadians-Read-Before/600014592

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

" buyers should be made fully aware of the TOTAL cost of shipping goods, not just one small element of the price."

The seller has no idea how much UPS will charge you once the item reaches Canada.

If purchasing from the US, insist on USPS if it is not specified in the listing and avoid those sellers who refuse to use it

Non paying buyers deserve unpaid item strikes.
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Its a hard lesson to learn and one i'm sure you will not repeat. We are suppose to be informed buyers and informed buyers know they are totally responsible for import duty and taxes.

Then there is the issue of Courier brokerage as compared to mail fee $8.50. What is unfortunate is your seller offered mail for a additional $12. Would have saved $ 50.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

When a seller posts the UPS fees, the seller may have no idea what the extra costs are beyond his own borders.  Many sellers prefer couriers because the items are simply picked up from the seller's door.  Sellers don't have to go to the post office for international orders. 

Just how much you are charged will depend on the price of the item.  Those over $20 may have duty, tax on duty, tax on item price, brokerage fee, tax on brokerage fee...  How much depends on your province.  I am in BC so for me it's 12%, whereas for my friends in Alberta it's only 5.  I doubt if most sellers have any idea what the UPS cross-border fees are.  Why would they?

Most people when they are new have a similar experience to yours.  But ask yourself this, -- since when is the speed and attention of a profit-motivated business like that going to be so much cheaper than regular mail? ... No matter, now you know. 

Many buyers will not buy from sellers who only use UPS, for the reasons you say.  But it is important to keep in mind it is not the fault of ebay.  UPS is just a business.  Fedex is more reasonable so some sellers use Fedex instead.  Ebay is not pulling a fast one on buyers.  Nor are the sellers.  In future when you are shopping for an item, if the seller does not offer USPS First Class International, then find someone who does.  (Unless the parcel is large, heavy, or expensive and has to come Priority, -- still a better deal than UPS).

So go grab some lunch, get comfortable, and read through that link karl*katz posted.  You will see you are not alone. 🙂 

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

I was ripped off long ago- when they showed up at my door with my package and demanded more money or they would leave with it.  It's called extortion!  Buying from the US I had expected there to be GST charged and/or customs charges.  I have no complaint about that- the complaint is UPS and their brokerage fee- basically they are double charging- the seller pays them to deliver the item to your door and UPS turns around and charges the receiver a brokerage fee- which is a scam because the postal service doesn't charge a fee to bring your packages through customs.  I now wonder if Ebay is getting kick backs from UPS- WHY are they the preferred company for shipping?  Huge rip off to consumers, I have filed complaints with the BBB over this, Canada needs to regulate private shipping companies better.  We do not need a brokerage firm to get our packages through customs- it would be different if we were large import/export companies dealing in high volume- but we are not and this "service" is a joke, it's not needed and just a cash grab mainly for UPS.  Since it happened to me I have seen many sellers listing that there are NO hidden brokerage fees, it's been a couple years since I was nailed- but today it did happen again!  Needless to say I am done with dealing with UPS-the costs of shipping on Ebay are going through the roof- I paid $125 for the item I received today and then another $51 at my door!  Furious to say the least.  Sellers are not aware of this extra fee and since there have been so many sellers stating that there are no hidden brokerage fees- I thought UPS had changed- their excuse is that SOME shippers have a different deal with them but not all!  Want to know what they say about the postal service?  They don't charge because we are already actually paying brokerage fees when we pay our taxes- because they are government run- trying to deflect their evil deeds by pointing the finger at the government!  Even today she told me that they can't tell the seller ahead of time what the fees would be!  Scam scam scam and shame on Ebay for allowing this!

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

mdreidmd
Community Member

The other problem is that if you want to you can broker your own parcel when it hits the boarder. You don't have to use them. It's a fee for them taking responsibility that your parcel is safe when it goes across the boarder. If you want to fill in the paperwork saying you aren't tansporting explosives, pay the duty (if any) and not sending body parts...it's your right to do so. UPS and Fedex, etc don't give you that option.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

I just bought a $1400.00 transmission kit,it came today and was given a $900.00 brokerage fee.**bleep**???NO PAY,NO PARTS is what I was told!!!

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I just fell victim to this "Hidden" charge.  Frankly, I spend $1000s a year on parts and equipment.  But it only takes one time for me to have a bad experience . . ."the bait & switch", "bamboozled", "the wool pulled over my eyes".   I for one am done purchasing items on Ebay.   This fee should have been explicitly stated UP FRONT!    Because, now 2 full weeks after I purchased the item I can't ask for a refund and am basically forced into this transaction. 

$80 initially for shipping.  Then a surprise C.O.D. on delivery.   I will not get taken again.  And I am going to consistently campaign and spread to the word about this. 

I would have not made the purchase I did knowing the additional fees.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

UPS is a total scam with the "brokerage" fees. They got me once several years ago and I will NOT use UPS under ANY circumstance. They ended up doubling the cost of the item I had purchased.

UPS = CROOKS

I use USPS or even Fedex. If the seller uses UPS exclusively, I DO NOT BUY the items, ebay or not.

Steve

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

I don't have the answer for you but I can tell you that ebay will pay the price when the proletariat rise up and eats them for breakfast.

@eddybaby66 wrote:

how can UPS (an Ebay preferred courier partner) NOT disclose at the time that a buyer accepts a certain shipping option what  the level of brokerage fees that will be levied?

@(I paid @ $27 to ship, and was hit for @ $70 in brokerage fees when the goods arrived!!) those fees are known in advance, and buyers should be made fully aware of the TOTAL cost of shipping goods, not just one small element of the price.

I have since found out that UPS is well known for pulling this scam, so I am disgusted the Ebay would condone and endorse this underhand, deceptive practice.

This undermines my faith in Ebay to be "honest brokers" and will mean I think twice before using Ebay again.

How many others have also been ripped of like this?

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

seen a wind shield for a yj jeep for 99$ Can
The ups shipping cost without the brokerage Fee
was 496$Can Now that is the biggest Rip-off I have ever seen
It would be a 10# Package 2x4'-4"thick.
Bought a 22$ Item and paid 40$ shipping incl.hidden Brokerage Fees
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

darylm
Community Member

I don’t know if anyone has notice but there seems to be a conspiracy toward Canadians now. Both ebay and Amazon are charging us import charges at checkout. I’ve never seen these charges before so it looks new to me.

It’s not just UPS anymore. I stopped buying from any US merchants who shipped via UPS.

Now it looks like more US companies are getting in on the game of dipping their hands in our pockets. US corporate greed I suppose.

I’m pretty much to the point where I won’t be buying very much from the US any more. I’d rather give my money to a Canadian company.

Spread the word. We Canadians shouldn’t be ripped off this way by US companies.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

I was also ripped off by UPS. My shipping came to over 50% of the price of my item. This is wrong. Ebay smarten up
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

fineecom
Community Member

First of all "brokerage fees" as opposed to the actual taxes and duties should be the responsibility of the seller since these charges are paid to the shipping company the seller selected. Furthermore the seller can ask the shipping company what these charges are. The difference between brokerage for a shipment form the United States to Canada between UPS and USPS / Canada Post can easily be between hundreds of dollars and $8. The difference in this cost is only due to the seller's choice in shipping company.

How to avoid being ripped off here is actually very simple.

1) Avoid for international shipments any seller that uses UPS (particularly UPS Standard) or other courier companies unless they actually disclose all the border charges.

2) Avoid any US based shipper unless they specifically indicate they will use USPS or disclose all the "border charges" at checkout.

I have on many occasions avoided purchasing from a seller in the United States in favor of one in China simply because the US based seller used UPS even though the Chinese seller may have charged a higher price including shipping. US based sellers need to understand that UPS puts them at a significant competitive disadvantage for international shipments.

In addition a UPS shipment to a residence can cause many problems if the person in not home during business hours, while in Canada a shipment by Canada Post can be conveniently picked up after hours from the local post office.

Ebay should force all sellers to disclose what specific shipping company they use and not allow "standard shipping" in an item description.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

Fedex and UPS do a great job at making it easy for people to ship - they are visible, accessible and competitively priced ....for the sender.

However they market that they have no customs clearance fees.  If the user reads further it becomes clear that there are plenty of other charges.  For example if the sender doesn't charge sales tax then the UPS/FedEx charge a $50 processing fee.  If the sender forget something on the form their is a $10 correcting fee. Oh and they loan the sales tax money to you for a mere 1.2%  - considering they do not pay the taxes to the government any time prior to receiving the COD funds "loan" is an odd word.  Moreover if the difference between the actual delivery date and the moment it crossed the border was a week that 1.2 % equates to 62.4% simple interest annually (usery in and of itself!!!)

A loan shark would be a cheaper option!!!!

However if we could just get the seller to use USPS;a now great service - all but a reasonable $10 processing fee (plus applicable sales taxes) is fairly charged and they are as close as a post office or satellite post office.

If you want a great service and a better price for the sender and receiver - DHL  charges the same $10 fee and they have superior tracking, notify both parties when the package is near delivery, inform in advance the receiver of the taxes and allow the receiver to pay them online and then ACTUALLY DELIVER IT in fantastic time!!!

China - Canada 1 or 2 days - California to Canada 1 or 2 days - compare that to USPS of a week and Fedex/UPS 10 days or more.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

UPS is s major scam company They'll double bill you too Pay on pickup then send you another in the mail, then when you send record of payment they'll be good a couple months then send a collection agency Ebay is so scamming Estimates shipping which is also way high I've had sellers say it isn't actual but they have to charge it anyway as that's how ebay now operates They're making money also on shipping Always need more money Ebay and UPS should be put on American Greed
Message 17 of 20
latest reply

6421van
Community Member
Yes, after dealing with EBay via UPS for many years, I can tell you as fact that UPS is a scam. The are the only carrier I have ever dealt with that will knowingly deliver a Canadian parcel then send a second invoice for their own brokerage charges. Pay it quickly or get sent to collections and pay more... Anyone with any common sense would NEVER deal with these idiots. If you want to buy on eBay check with your seller first how they will send your parcel. Your SELLER gets a discounted shipping rate for using them at your expense. Wise up people it's well documented by now. I'll gladly spend my time persuading people to avoid UPS at all cost.....
Message 18 of 20
latest reply

They are the biggist rip off catrier ever those dirtbag scammer made me call 5 times to do my own process they kept saying I never called
Message 20 of 20
latest reply