how to get economy shipping rates for canada post for dvds and books

Hi.  I am a new Canadian seller, using ebay.ca and listing in can dollars. I would  like to start selling dvds and books. I am using buy it now and the buyer must pay shipping. I am still using my first 50 free listings.

I have listed a few dvds in the smallest, non padded envelopes which I cut down to the size of the dvd. These are series with 4 dvds inside but are around 2 cm thick. 

The weight was 250 grams, size 21 cm long, 16 cm wide and 2 cm high. I listed them at first as 9 dollars Canadian and the shipping quote on the item showing on my listing was over 13 dollars for Canada post regular parcel.

I chose Canada post light packet usa for my usa shipping and it doesn't give a quote. I was told there is no shipping calculator available for my international orders and I have to always ask a buyer for state and zip code, go on Canada post website and get a calculation from there for any buyers, then add the cost to buy it now item and invoice the usa buyer. the cost so far for other items was always double the domestic shipping cost which deterred any usa buyers. I haven't yet sold any dvds but I am assuming the shipping cost will again be double for the usa shipping. 

so I lowered my price to 5 dollars can each dvd set. now it doesn't give any quote at all on domestic shipping which means for buy it now I have to get emails from domestic and usa buyers and go to the Canada post website get the quote etc etc. I don't know why it did then when I changed the price I must have screwed something up. 

I am overwhelmed with this shipping. is there any easier way to do this? what am I doing wrong? I have seen other experienced sellers that offer free economy shipping which I think must be in the plain brown envelopes - letter mail - I am using plain non padded brown envelopes but it never gives me the option of using letter mail. the shipping domestic when it would give a quote was always over 13 dollars. at this rate I would have to give away the dvd to pay the shipping cost. 

I would appreciate anyone who could offer any advice on how to get economy Canada post shipping and advice on pricing the dvds I have or how I could price things and offer free shipping. any advice appreciated. thanks very much.

View Entire Topic

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

That should take care of the calculation of price.

Including Light Packet.

But look at the LetterPost rates too.

I have to always ask a buyer for state and zip code, go on Canada post website and get a calculation from there for any buyers, then add the cost to buy it now item and invoice the usa buyer.

Nope.

LetterPost and Light Packet are Flat Rates to anywhere in the USA.

So you choose the fee for shipping.

Calculated is needed where distance is part of the rate calculation. Parcel rates need calculation. LP doesn't.

A lot of  sellers using LP rates, use the LetterPost one if it is cheaper. Just sayin'.

I haven't yet sold any dvds but I am assuming the shipping cost will again be double for the usa shipping. 

Nope.

It will be different. But not always more.

NEVER NEVER guess the cost of shipping.

I must have screwed something up. 

Shipping is the hardest part of mail order.

We all mess it up now and then, mostly when we start.

Are you buying your envelopes at the Post Office? Don't.

Get them from an office supply store.

I like using poly envelopes which I buy here on eBay from emailers.ca who ship quickly and have good prices. (Better than the Chinese sellers and faster.) Also they leave feedback on shipping which is  helpful for newbies.

Remember your DVDs are pretty consistent in size and weight. So coming up with a Flat Rate  is just a matter of using your scale (you have a digital metric scale, right? Canadian Tire sells a good Starbrit one for under $20) and taking your time.

BTW- if you need zipcodes 90210 is in California and 32830 is in Florida. And K0A 0A6 is the House of Commons in Ottawa.

There are no online shipping labels for LP services.

You have to use stamps or buy labels at the PO counter.

You can buy stamps at a discount here on eBay (*cough*).

Ask a Question
Top Helpful Posts