ups showed "delivered"but left at front door - buyer claim not receive

I shipped with UPS with tracking to a house address and the tracking said  it is "delivered - left at front door"

buyer told me she has not received it and asked why has UPS not leaving the package in a locked mailbox.

I filed a claim with UPS - what more can I do? Am I safe and I'm expecting to give a refund. The item value was $500USD, definitely not something I can be "ok" to give away for free. Thank you.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

When shipping an item of that value, you should always ship with "signature required" and insurance.  The carriers responsibility ends when they leave it at the addressees  door.  They provided the service you paid for.  I know it's expensive, but that's the cost of doing business these days.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I definitely learned... I guess I didn't think it's necessary because I had shipped with signature required before and the package is still just left at front. But yes you're right, at least it shows I tried to use signature required when the claim is open?
The bottom line is... Should I prepare myself for a $500 loss or I still stand a chance? Thank you.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

If I were you, I wouldn't refund anyone anything just yet. CALL EBAY FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO PROCEED. I cannot stress this enough. If tracking shows your parcel was delivered, I really don't think UPS is going to refund your money in any sort of claim to the contrary.

How do you know the buyer hasn't received this item? What makes you think UPS has access to her 'locked' mailbox? Only the post office and a homeowner has access to those. Couriers ship to street addresses. 

If this item was stolen from the buyer's doorstep, that is a matter she needs to pursue with the local police.

Was this matter brought to your attention through the Resolution Centre? If not, you may have a buyer who is trying to keep both the item and her money. Who may have a history of doing so. Only ebay and/or paypal will know that. 

And please don't be offended by the following statement but you appear to be relatively new to ebay selling AND are offering high-value items so this makes you appear to be ripe for the plucking with any buyer out there that has less-than-honourable intentions. Whatever you do, don't say that to your buyer. Express shock, sympathy and tell her you are going to call eBay for further instructions. 

Good luck as you carry forward. If you think of it, keep us posted on developments. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I didn't see your comment until after I posted my reply. Again, I repeat DO NOT REFUND ANYTHING TO ANYONE until after you speak with Customer Service reps from either ebay or paypal or whomever it is that the case was filed through. Delivered is delivered. Stolen is another matter. It sucks for the buyer but if this item was stolen from her by a neighbour, stranger walking past or housemate, that is a matter for the police and not you as an ebay seller. My gut tells me that if you can prove your item was delivered via tracking, your responsibility is over for this. Unless the dollar value for 'signature required' on ebay has changed.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

thank you so much for the comment and no i'm definitely not offended by any suggestion. I've been buying and selling on ebay for long time but only as a "casual seller/buyer". most of the time i buy and once in a while i sell something that i no longer need/want. I am not really following changes or regulations that's constantly update on ebay and therefore every time i sell it feels like there is always something surprises me (not always the good way)

the buyer has not gone to resolution center; she is very polite and seems worried (i would too if i were her) but she does worry me a bit... because prior to the sell, she did offer to "buy the item aside through paypal not through ebay so she can save me some money". I then told her to place a bid and i'll end the item early for her but still sell through ebay.

anyway, i have report a claim to ups for them to investigate... and if they can confirm they deliver to the right address then i guess it's the matter for buyer to figure out. Thanks again for the suggestion and advice, really appreciated!
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

asked why has UPS not leaving the package in a locked mailbox.

How was the UPS driver supposed to get access to a LOCKED mailbox?

Has the buyer checked with UPS to see if the driver took the parcel back to his depot?

If he did BTW, and she does not pick it up promptly, it will eventually be returned to you, but UPS may try to charge you for the return trip.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply