whos responsible for paying the shipping cost on a return item

nin-marcu
Community Member

I purchased a camera lens and the buyer has agreed to give me a refund or keep the lens that is non functional and and get a partial refund! Which is ridiculous.  Why would I keep a lens that doesn't work well? I want to know if I am responsible to pay the return packaging fee.  For I do not see why I should pocket the money because the item he sold me is defective. Let me know how I can be assured that once he receives the item that I am reimbursed and how can I be sure that he will assume his responsibility in acknowledging the return and getting my refund.

Thank you

N. Marcucci

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

If you as a buyer need to return an item for any reason, it has to go back with tracking. That is very important. Without tracking, you cannot prove it was returned and therefore you get no refund.

Assuming the listing explicitly states this item was functional when you bought it nut it is busted when you received it, you have an Item Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) case on your hands. Open a case in the Resolution Centre. With SNAD the seller is required to send you a return postage label if you are both located within the same country. If you are not, things get a little bit complicated. The seller then is supposed to send you funds for the return postage label. Some will upfront, some will with refund once it is received. It is a give-and-take trust exercise.

If you want to send it back simply because you changed your mind, that is a remorse return and the seller's return policy terms come into play plus you pay shipping.

Broken = SNAD

Ugly = Remorse

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Okay, this is tricky.

It is in the seller's best interest to keep this problem between the two of you.

If it goes to eBay, he may get Defects on his seller account and eBay will demand that he pay for the Return Shipping.

Once the return shows as delivered, either he or eBay will refund you. If it is him, no problem. If he doesn't, eBay will refund you and go after him for their money. And more Defects are involved.

Here's the problem.

Unless he is also in CANADA, he cannot send you a Return Shipping Label as eBay requires. There is just no way to do it unless both parties are in the same country. EBay doesn't understand this.

So.

What he wants to do is avoid that return shipping cost.

His first offer is a partial refund with no return.

Treat that as a negotiation point.

Politely.

Mention the eBay Buyer Protection policy and let him know that you understand that he cannot send you a Return Shipping Label.

Politely. You need him to cooperate.

Because if you want the full refund, you are going to have to return the lens on your own dime and TRUST that he refunds both the original payment and your return shipping.

Here's a suggested counter offer for you.

Let him know how much it will cost to ship the lens back.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Choose the least expensive service with Confirmation of Delivery. Probably that's Expedited, but run the numbers.

Ask him to send you the return postage.

Keep it polite.

This is a negotiation not a fight.

He may come back with a reiteration that he will refund the original payment and the postage on delivery.  By now, you may have a better understanding of his character. What does his feedback indicate? Are there any Responses left to FB by him or earlier buyers?

You may have to go to eBay. But this is time limited to 30 days from delivery.

If you miss that deadline, you can still go to Paypal, but they insist that the buyer pays for the return.

Your tools are the eBay Claim, feedback, Detailed Seller Ratings and Responses to feedback.

So cool down, and try to come to the best solution the two of you can find.

Politely. -- Captain Malcolm Reynolds.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply