Seller wants me to ship a return item to another buyer instead of back to them

bryanam1
Community Member

About a month ago I bought a game from a seller for the Playstation 4 but was sent a game for the Playstation Vita. When I opened a return with the seller to have it sent back or exchanged, I was ignored until I was able to ask eBay to step in, and they immediately granted me a refund and that was that on their end.

After I got my money back, the seller finally took notice and got in contact with me, asking me to send him back the game. I said I would provided they supplied me with a return shipping label. The seller got back to me and said they did not have a return shipping label, and asked for an estimate on how much it would cost to ship back. It was obviously more than they were willing to pay, since they then asked me for estimates on how much it would cost to ship to the U.S or locally here in Canada. I guess the plan was to sell the item they did not have again, and then have me ship it off.

After I responded with my estimates, it was silence again for about a week and a half, and now they're asking how much it would cost to ship to Australia. It costs even more to ship there than it does to send it back to the seller originally, and I'm starting to get a bit leery about the whole situation. There's no real option in the eBay help section that I can see that covers a situation like this. I don't want to spend the 30+ dollars to have this shipped somewhere without any guarantees that I'll get this money back from the seller, or even if they're allowed to sell something they technically don't have in their possession.

Is this an acceptable way to handle a return? I originally thought I would get the money back only after the seller had received the returned item, but that was not the case. I just want to protect myself from this seemingly sketchy deal I find myself in currently.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You opened a care in the Resolution Centre for Item Significantly Not as Described, the seller did not respond, and you asked eBay to step in.  They refunded you without requiring a return. The case was closed.  Is this correct?  Did eBay refund the full price including any shipping you were charged?  Then you have been made whole.

The seller did not respond until they noticed that the refund amount was taken from their PayPal account.  Now they want you to do something for them.

You certainly should NOT pay for any shipping yourself.  If the seller wants you to ship it, they can send you money for shipping through PayPal.  This is not the usual way to handle a return, especially since eBay does not seem to think that a return is required.  But is it acceptable?  That depends on your outlook.  You have your money back, plus you have the product.  We can't usually have both.  If it were me, I would not put any effort into it other than to let the seller know that you could ship it anywhere he wants, as long as you receive the money for shipping and handling up front. 

If you have not received the full item + shipping cost that you paid, you could also inform the seller that you need the shipping amount you paid PLUS the shipping amount to wherever before you can send it for him.

The seller in this case would be acting like a drop shipper, and should show Canada as the location of the game if he relists it.  However, he doesn't sound like he really wants to work at this, given the gaps of time between messages from him.  And I don't see how eBay would be involved again, if they have already closed the case in your favour.  Sit tight, the ball is in his court.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

You opened a care in the Resolution Centre for Item Significantly Not as Described, the seller did not respond, and you asked eBay to step in.  They refunded you without requiring a return. The case was closed.  Is this correct?  Did eBay refund the full price including any shipping you were charged?  Then you have been made whole.

The seller did not respond until they noticed that the refund amount was taken from their PayPal account.  Now they want you to do something for them.

You certainly should NOT pay for any shipping yourself.  If the seller wants you to ship it, they can send you money for shipping through PayPal.  This is not the usual way to handle a return, especially since eBay does not seem to think that a return is required.  But is it acceptable?  That depends on your outlook.  You have your money back, plus you have the product.  We can't usually have both.  If it were me, I would not put any effort into it other than to let the seller know that you could ship it anywhere he wants, as long as you receive the money for shipping and handling up front. 

If you have not received the full item + shipping cost that you paid, you could also inform the seller that you need the shipping amount you paid PLUS the shipping amount to wherever before you can send it for him.

The seller in this case would be acting like a drop shipper, and should show Canada as the location of the game if he relists it.  However, he doesn't sound like he really wants to work at this, given the gaps of time between messages from him.  And I don't see how eBay would be involved again, if they have already closed the case in your favour.  Sit tight, the ball is in his court.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

That is correct, eBay took a look at my case and decided it in my favor within the hour. I was given a full refund from them, and only after that occurred did the seller respond to me. Thank you for the information, since I've never had a situation like this before I wasn't sure how to proceed, especially given the fact that this return request does not follow the general outline that eBay lists in its help section
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

he seller got back to me and said they did not have a return shipping label, and asked for an estimate

Just on this point alone, the seller is right.

Unless both buyer and seller are in the same country, return shipping labels are not available.

While I agree wholeheartedly that it would not be ethical to keep both the money and the game, the seller should expect to pay for the shipping to whatever destination he decides is best.

And he should be paying you upfront for the cost of that shipping. And if its to Australia, he better be ready to pay for Air Mail or he will be getting deeper and deeper up the proverbial creek.

Telling him that you will ship on receipt of payment for the postage is extending him a paddle .

Message 4 of 4
latest reply