Shipping Costs Tripled!

I recently made a purchase for $2.99 US.  Before bidding, I checked the shipping costs to my postal code in Canada.  The shipping was identified as $9.83 US.  I won the auction, and tried to pay immediately.  However, the invoice showed the shipping costs to be over $27--three times as much as what was indicated in the auction.  I contacted the seller, who looked into it.  Here is her response:

I called eBay and they said that the extra postage was probably due to "import fees" being added. They said you could opt out of the Global Shipping Program by requesting a quick invoice (or something like that). And then we could choose our own shipper. 

The original listing said that there were no extra import fees.  I can't find any place to request a quick invoice.

I do not think it is right that shipping costs tripled without any notice to me.  I am looking for advice as to how to proceed.  I don't want to void the purchase, but paying $27 to ship a $3 item is ridiculous!

I would appreciate any advice/guidance to help me resolve this situation.  Also, how do I make sure that I don't run into this situation again?  This is the first time I have experienced this.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Shipping Costs Tripled!

Yeah.

that's very technically true.

But only because any import fees are paid before the seller is required to ship.

Did it say this?

Customs services and international tracking provided

The item was sold under the Global Shipping Program

There should be no import fees on a $2.99 item. Canadian duty and sales tax start at $20CDN (about $16USD).

I'd ask the seller for a Mutual Cancellation.

If she sends it, agree immediately. You are both now released from the transaction. You can leave appropriate feedback.

EBay doesn't tell sellers clearly that they should not be using this program for items valued under $50USD, although they suggest it.

And a lot of sellers were signed up without their knowledge.

And if the seller doesn't send the Request, just don't pay. As a seller, I don't lke to say that, but it won't affect you so long as you don't get another Unpaid Item Strike in the next 12 months.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Shipping Costs Tripled!

Yeah.

that's very technically true.

But only because any import fees are paid before the seller is required to ship.

Did it say this?

Customs services and international tracking provided

The item was sold under the Global Shipping Program

There should be no import fees on a $2.99 item. Canadian duty and sales tax start at $20CDN (about $16USD).

I'd ask the seller for a Mutual Cancellation.

If she sends it, agree immediately. You are both now released from the transaction. You can leave appropriate feedback.

EBay doesn't tell sellers clearly that they should not be using this program for items valued under $50USD, although they suggest it.

And a lot of sellers were signed up without their knowledge.

And if the seller doesn't send the Request, just don't pay. As a seller, I don't lke to say that, but it won't affect you so long as you don't get another Unpaid Item Strike in the next 12 months.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Shipping Costs Tripled!

Thanks for your help. Fortunately, the seller was very accommodating, and allowed me to purchase the item without going through the Global Shipping Program. I will certainly be on the watch for sellers who ship using that program, and will avoid it like the plague! Thanks for your response!
Message 3 of 3
latest reply