Shipping DVD's in bubble mailers?

Hi,

I've been shipping DVD's in bubble mailers, I've always just put a $1.80 stamp on and never had a problem, send out 5 or 10 a week, today I got 3 back in my mailbox all listed as "Insufficient postage".

Should I be putting $2.95?

Also, for these items that were returned to me, what do I do?  Put more postage on them and put them back in the mailbox?  or do I lose the postage I already put on them?

The prices for shipping up here are insane!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@nyder_inc wrote:
I've been shipping DVD's in bubble mailers, I've always just put a $1.80 stamp on and never had a problem, send out 5 or 10 a week, today I got 3 back in my mailbox all listed as "Insufficient postage".

Also, for these items that were returned to me, what do I do?  Put more postage on them and put them back in the mailbox?  or do I lose the postage I already put on them?

Scales are useful. There are many dvds that hit the 101 to 200 gram range, particularly if they have paper inserts or use some of the older solid plastic cases,

If you can't be bothered with a scale take a few dvds (in mailer, mailer does not need to be sealed) and see if the local postal outlet will weigh them for you -- this will give you a better idea of what's light and what's heavy.

If the stamps on the returned item have not been cancelled, I would remove the return sticker and add the additional postage to take it to the next postage rate level.

With a possible postal strike coming for July it wouldn't surprise me that some postal employees are working to rule and are double checking your mail package weights.

-..-

Canada - Oversize Lettermail 2014/2015/2016 rates (using stamps)
051-100g .. 1.80
101-200g .. 2.95
201-300g .. 4.10
301-400g .. 4.70
401-500g .. 5.05

And if you think lettermail is expensive, then I suggest not looking at parcel rates in Canada.

-..-

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@nyder_inc wrote:

Scales are useful. There are many dvds that hit the 101 to 200 gram range, particularly if they have paper inserts or use some of the older solid plastic cases,

If you can't be bothered with a scale take a few dvds (in mailer, mailer does not need to be sealed) and see if the local postal outlet will weigh them for you -- this will give you a better idea of what's light and what's heavy.

If the stamps on the returned item have not been cancelled, I would remove the return sticker and add the additional postage to take it to the next postage rate level.

With a possible postal strike coming for July it wouldn't surprise me that some postal employees are working to rule and are double checking your mail package weights.

-..-

Canada - Oversize Lettermail 2014/2015/2016 rates (using stamps)
051-100g .. 1.80
101-200g .. 2.95
201-300g .. 4.10
301-400g .. 4.70
401-500g .. 5.05

And if you think lettermail is expensive, then I suggest not looking at parcel rates in Canada.

-..-

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thanks, I will get a scale ASAP.

How do I know the stamps have been cancelled?

They have postage marks on them now, am I out $1.80 in postage I already put on them?

Thanks,
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Thanks, I will get a scale ASAP.

I like my Starfrit from the Kitchen section of Canadian Tire. It weighs up to 5 kgs and cost less than $20 about five years ago.

How do I know the stamps have been cancelled?

There will be a mark on them. Sometimes this is as simple as a felt pen run over the stamps. Sometimes it is a rubber stamp from the local PO. Sometimes those little /////marks from the terminal.

They have postage marks on them now, am I out $1.80 in postage I already put on them?

Yes, stamps can only be used once. They are technically receipts for a service to be rendered.

This has happened to me now and again. I usually put the refused envelope into another, restamp it and send it on.

This has the effect of explaining to the customer why her purchase was slow to arrive.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Cancelled stamps have postmarks on them.
If you feel like gambling -- add the extra $1.15 and re-mail, but they might still come back.

Scales: Starfrit at Canadian Tire is a good one for weights under 5kg. Regular price $30, but often on sale for less than $20.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply