Shipping options

I am bidding on an item that is reasonable priced. The item page indicates a very high shipping cost relative to the item. Under "shipping details" there is a more reasonable option for shipping method. How can I be sure I can opt for the lower method if I win the auction? I have tried to contact the seller with this question but not received a reply. The seller does have a very high rating. Thank you for help. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Shipping options

I have tried to contact the seller with this question but not received a reply.

If a seller will not respond to you before you bid, why do you think he will be helpful after you bid?

The item page indicates a very high shipping cost relative to the item.

The cost of shipping is based on weight, dimensions, distance and shipping service used. It is not based on the value of the item being shipped.

How can I be sure I can opt for the lower method if I win the auction?

If the seller offers two shipping services, after you win, your invoice will give you a choice of which service you want to pay for.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Shipping options

Buy an item for $10 and pay $90 for shipping......or buy an item for $90 and pay $10 for shipping.  The item costs you $100.  If this item is worth $100, and you really want it, buy it.  Shipping options is at the discretion of the seller.  They may have added additional costs for packing material, transportation to mail facility, tracking, signature confirmation etc.  Unfortunately, the cheapest shipping costs, does not provide seller protection.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Shipping options

Is this a GSP listing?  Do you see "Customs services and international tracking provided" above the seller's ID when you view it in list form on a computer (doesn't show on mobile devices or in gallery view)?  Many US sellers were opted in to this program without their knowledge.  Some already offered shipping to Canada.  What is under "shipping details" may be what that seller had set up for Canadian shipping.  What you see on the listing may be the Global Shipping Charges.  You seller may not know s/he is signed up for the GSP, and may be wondering why you are asking and how to reply to you.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Shipping options

I have tried to contact the seller with this question but not received a reply.

If a seller will not respond to you before you bid, why do you think he will be helpful after you bid?

The item page indicates a very high shipping cost relative to the item.

The cost of shipping is based on weight, dimensions, distance and shipping service used. It is not based on the value of the item being shipped.

How can I be sure I can opt for the lower method if I win the auction?

If the seller offers two shipping services, after you win, your invoice will give you a choice of which service you want to pay for.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Shipping options

Point one. Good point.
Point two. Yes I am aware of that. I have ordered and shipped many items of similar size and weight. It does not cost $50 to mail a hoodie.
Point three. That is what I am hoping. I have just not come across this in my 100 ebay purchases before.
Thanks for the input.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Shipping options

If you go to the item listing again and hit the tab for Shipping, do you see two or three different postage options? If not, assume that what you see is the only choice for you and one for which you do not care to pay. Look elsewhere for a similar item from another seller who has a cheaper rate that you prefer. After you win the auction (or use buy-it-now to secure it) as a buyer you can't ask the seller for a less expensive method of shipment. That is an ebay no-no and one for which you can be reported as violating policy. Too many 'reports' of that nature and ebay starts to give that member the wrong kind of attention. 

Sometimes sellers use couriers instead of postal mail and it costs more because there is customs brokering involved if it is crossing a border.

Sometimes they really have no idea what it costs and pad extra into it.

Sometimes sellers have their international shipping set up to dissuade buyers from outside their country because they just don't want the hassle of dealing with customs forms.

Sometimes sellers use a 'sell similar' function to create a new listing but forget to change the item weight or size so it displays incorrect pricing.

If the seller, however, has not responded to your requests for clarification, move on. This to me is a clear indicator that they are not interested in gaining your trust as a potential customer. If that is the case, imagine what will happen if you have an actual problem with the item after he/she has your money in hand.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Shipping options

Thank you for the articulate reply. As it turns out, I did win the auction and there was an option for a cheaper, reasonable shipping. I have not encountered this before because I have always done just as you have suggested. This particular item was for someone else (my wife) and she has no bidding experience. She was adamant on getting it and willing to take the gamble of the high shipping. It all turned out well in the end.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply