Should the seller be allowed to include the shipping price to the declared value of item sold.

Should the seller be allowed to include the shipping price to the declared value of item sold?

I have a huge duty bill to pay because seller is conviced that he can add the shipping price of an item to the value of the item I bought.

Is that fair or even legal?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Should the seller be allowed to include the shipping price to the declared value of item sold.

yesca61
Community Member

I have the same problem my order is not too much but my shipping is so high is ridiculous so what can we do.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

No.

Has it been shipped?

You can refuse the parcel.

It will be returned to the seller and he will be charged the return postage.

It will be difficult to get a refund, since refusing the parcel is not the same as not delivered nor is it the same as Item Not As Described.

You can pay the higher duty and sales tax, then appeal it to the CBSA in your area. This takes time. Most of the charge will be sales tax, btw.

You will not be able to get the shipper's customs brokerage fee refunded. This is important because particularly couriers have a sliding scale of brokerage fees based on the value of the item brokered.

You can tell the shipper that you will broker the parcel yourself. Bring the eBay invoice with you, and show the CBSA the seller's error in including shipping cost in the value. You should only be paying on the actual price.

Has it not been shipped?

You can ask for a refund and move on to a different seller. The seller may open an Unpaid Item Dispute and give you a Strike.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

my order is not too much but my shipping is so high is ridiculous so what can we do.

Is this really the same problem?

Is your seller also including the shipping to the selling price to get the value?

Or is the shipping price just very high?

Is the Global Shipping Program involved?

If it is you are paying duty and tax (and a service fee of about $5) on the selling price alone. Add this to the real cost of shipping and the amount can be surprising.

But the GSP fee is only based on the selling price.

The cost of shipping to Canada, especially with tracking, is much higher than most occasional importers think. And the cost of shipping is based on weight and dimensions, not on value. So a $1000 postage stamp could, theoretically, be shipped for less than a dollar while a fluffy $10 pillow could cost $25 to mail.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply